Ford 5000 select-o-speed clutch issues

Ekoldford

New User
Ford 5000 I think around 1968 (the model serial numbers have rusted and can't hardly read them) has a select-o-speed transmission that has been working fine. The tractor has a clutch that disengages the transmission. While using the clutch all of sudden didn't return/spring back up to the engaged position. Pulling the clutch pedal up by putting foot under and pulling up did engage the transmission and it appeared to operate normally otherwise. I parked it and came back a week later to see what Was going on and move the tractor and the tractor would not go in forward or reverse and the clutch pedal moving up or down had little to no resistance like it may not be actually connected. (I did check that It was turning the shaft and the pin wasn't sheared) the clutch pedal still doesn't return spring up. None of the gears worked and moving clutch pedal had no effect on tractor. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem or has the knowledge to know some possible reasons of what is wrong. And possible routes to go to repair. If it's anything to do with clutch (even linkage) is there any fixing without splitting tractor? If you could I would greatly appreciate. The clutch on the tractor was good before and didn't appear to slip at all. Tractor had been used heavily and hard for weeks before this happened. Although the day it broke it was a fairly light work load.

That is not a clutch pedal. Its a inching pedal, dumps hyd pressure. This condition of broken return spring. To check drain oil and remove cover on bottom of trans. let set for day or 2 so don't drip on you.

Sounds like an internal linkage problem. On the 5000 only, that will be on the bottom of the transmission as has been stated. Take Shaun's advice. When you can stand to be under the tractor, inspect the inching pedal linkage. It may helpful to have an assistant to manipulate the pedal so that you can observe the operation of internal linkage as he/she does so.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back