Ford 601 Power Steering

bojohn54

New User
I have a Ford 601 tractor with power steering, is it possible to replace the power steering with manual steering. If possible what parts would I need, new gear box?

Thank you,
Bojohn

Welcome to the Ford Board.
It would be a pretty simple swap. The
manual box would fit right in place of the
PS box.
I would remove the pump and lines too.
But why?
The power steering is not hard to overhaul
and we could help if you wanted to try it.
The manual steering on that tractor is not
bad but I would still cry if I lost the
power steering on mine.

Yes, remove the pump, lines and cylinders and replace the steering gear. The pump will get damaged if it is spun for too long when dry. The cylinders will make it harder to steer if they are still connected, even if they are dry inside and the ports are open. The lines won't have anything to hook to so they would just be in the way. Also, if you ever want to go back to the power assist, you will have all of the necessary parts and will know that they worked when they were removed. If you ever want to sell everything to someone who does not have power assist on their tractor, you would need to swap radius rods and linkages with them as well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back