Ford 640 starter motor constantly running

raxxter

When I started my Ford 640 yesterday, the tractor started making a loud humming noise. I shut it off with the key, but the humming continued after the engine stopped. The noise was coming from the starter motor. I disconnected the negative battery cable (it s been converted to a 12v negative ground) and the humming stopped. As soon as I touched the battery cable to the battery post, the tractor started up and the humming came back.
When the engine was running, it did not sound like the starter was engaging the flywheel. I think the bendix was just spinning without being pushed out to engage the flywheel.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Starter motor, starter push button, solenoid, or something less obvious?

This is the first time this has happened. It started and ran fine two days ago and has been parked in the barn.

Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back