Picked up a barn find 8000 a couple weeks ago. Got it home checked the engine oil, injector pump oil (it was very low), put on a hot battery, and tried to start it. Starter would engage but not turn the engine. My first fear was the engine was stuck, but I pulled the starter and could turn the engine with a bar. Bad starter.
I’ve ordered a starter, and while I’m waiting on it I want to get the fluids on the rest of the tractor topped off. The trans, rear end, and PTO are all very low. My tractor is an early one, I ordered an operator’s manual but it appears to be for a later tractor. What I’m wondering is if I can just use universal tractor fluid in the power steering, trans, rear end, and PTO? Chat GBT says I can but it’s been wrong before.
Another problem I have is the brakes. The master cylinder was dry. I added some fluid (used the correct Ford brake fluid equivalent) and it’s pouring out of the master cylinder. Are kits to rebuild the master cylinder still available?
I’ve ordered a starter, and while I’m waiting on it I want to get the fluids on the rest of the tractor topped off. The trans, rear end, and PTO are all very low. My tractor is an early one, I ordered an operator’s manual but it appears to be for a later tractor. What I’m wondering is if I can just use universal tractor fluid in the power steering, trans, rear end, and PTO? Chat GBT says I can but it’s been wrong before.
Another problem I have is the brakes. The master cylinder was dry. I added some fluid (used the correct Ford brake fluid equivalent) and it’s pouring out of the master cylinder. Are kits to rebuild the master cylinder still available?