Ford 860 clutch brake lever

56 ford 860

New User
So where my clutch lever goes into the housing it is leaking oil out of it any ideas on how to fix and how hard it would be to do. I am very new to this stuff
mvphoto108520.jpg

mvphoto108521.jpg

That shaft is just riding in a bushing, so there is no seal, and that area in the bell housing should be dry. If oil is coming out of there, then either the rear of the engine, or the front of the transmission, or both is/are leaking into the bell housing, and the hole on the bottom of the bell housing is clogged with dirt so that the fluid leaking in there is not draining out of the hole. There should be a cotter pin in the hole in the bottom of the bell housing that should be free to rattle around as the tractor runs to keep the hole from getting clogged.

The pin clutch pedal pivots on is tapered with nut and cottered on inside. The only way to access nut to remove gears witch requires double split. That pin is first part that goes in when assembling trans.

(quoted from post at 19:46:59 08/12/23) That shaft is just riding in a bushing, so there is no seal, and that area in the bell housing should be dry. If oil is coming out of there, then either the rear of the engine, or the front of the transmission, or both is/are leaking into the bell housing, and the hole on the bottom of the bell housing is clogged with dirt so that the fluid leaking in there is not draining out of the hole. There should be a cotter pin in the hole in the bottom of the bell housing that should be free to rattle around as the tractor runs to keep the hole from getting clogged.
Thank you I am going to tear into it a little bit today. Thank this is what I needed to know there is a cotter pin down there that rattles I assume I can take that plate that it s on to look up inside there maybe

I just did this on a 960, no split involved. It is a little tricky to get the nut started. I put some butyl seam sealer in the box end of a wrench to hold the nut in place, then turned the shaft into it from the outside to get it started. once the taper starts to tighten to the housing it is easy to get the nut really tight.

(quoted from post at 04:42:47 08/13/23)

I just did this on a 960, no split involved. It is a little tricky to get the nut started. I put some butyl seam sealer in the box end of a wrench to hold the nut in place, then turned the shaft into it from the outside to get it started. once the taper starts to tighten to the housing it is easy to get the nut really tight.
Was yours leaking or where would the fluid dripping out of it be coming from I m almost positive it s hydraulic fluid which I don t understand why anything would drip out of there it s not a horrible drip but it s a drip that I don t like to see and have it get all over the floor

I m almost positive it s hydraulic fluid which I don t understand why anything would drip out of there

There are two hydraulic lines that go through the transmission and the dry area of the bell housing to get up to the manifold for the hydraulic pump. Those lines do sometimes develop a leak, but usually they leak internal to the sealed part of the transmission, not into the bell housing.

(quoted from post at 05:17:01 08/13/23)
(quoted from post at 04:42:47 08/13/23)

Was yours leaking or where would the fluid dripping out of it be coming from I m almost positive it s hydraulic fluid which I don t understand why anything would drip out of there it s not a horrible drip but it s a drip that I don t like to see and have it get all over the floor

I had not noticed a leak but I had never run this tractor. I bought it primarily for parts. Since the pin is through the wall of the transmission, it is likely to leak a little when in use. I see a very high liklihood that anything leaking out is transmission oil not hydraulic, although more often than not our old Fords have the same oil in both. My nut that secures the pin was NOT castellated. There was no cotter pin nor a hole for a pin.

so I opened up the top plate the nut came off the back of the clutch lever and fell down inside the trans housing going to get a magnet to fish it out is it a nut and washer that I m looking for our just a nut

(quoted from post at 08:36:49 08/13/23) so I opened up the top plate the nut came off the back of the clutch lever and fell down inside the trans housing going to get a magnet to fish it out is it a nut and washer that I m looking for our just a nut

I don't believe that there is a washer. IIRC, there is not adequate room on the shaft for one. Understand that you should call it a shaft or a post. There is no involvement here with your clutch, and it misleads others who are trying to help but have not looked at your pics or read your posts completely.

got er all fixed up no washer but nut wash down at the bottom of the trans go it all tight no more leaking things could of been much worse thank you for all your help guys I appreciate it

(quoted from post at 14:37:57 08/13/23) got er all fixed up no washer but nut wash down at the bottom of the trans go it all tight no more leaking things could of been much worse thank you for all your help guys I appreciate it

Congratulations! thanks for posting back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back