Ford 9n or 2n

A friend has a Ford with 3 speed forward transmission so I'm guessing 9n or 2n. Tractor must
have pto engaged and clutch out for 3 point to work. Tractor has a starter button on top of
transmission with one wire going to a solenoid. Starter won't run now and I am an IH guy not
Ford so I'm asking a simple question, sorry. How does this start button work?
Thanks.
Dave

(quoted from post at 19:54:53 03/07/23) A friend has a Ford with 3 speed forward transmission so I'm guessing 9n or 2n. Tractor must
have pto engaged and clutch out for 3 point to work. Tractor has a starter button on top of
transmission with one wire going to a solenoid. Starter won't run now and I am an IH guy not
Ford so I'm asking a simple question, sorry. How does this start button work?
Thanks.
Dave

in a 9/2N, the start button pushes a rod to close a mechanical switch on the front of the steering box. u seem to be dealing with a hybrid. i think the 8N setup is to ground that wire from the solenoid by pressing the button.

9/2/8Ns all need the PTO engaged and clutch out for the hydraulics to work.

ALL FORD 9N & 2N Models, after s/n 12500, used the 3-Speed Transmission; DRAFT CONTROL 3-PT only; 1-Wire Starter Motor with NO RELAY (Solenoid); 1-Wire/3-Brush 11-AMP Generator; Round Can Cutout; and all Ns used a PTO that required the Clutch in and lever engaged. Steering, wiring, and cooling had changes over the years 39-46.
Your friend needs to get the ESSENTIAL MANUALS for your FORD TRACTOR. They are the best investment one can make for his machine, and read religiously, before he turns that IGN KEY or start yanking part off and trying to put new ones on without proving old ones are defective. Next, ALL 9N and 2N Models are basically the same from 1940, at s/n 12500, thru end of production ion 1946. Early 9N 1939 units were slightly different. As stated, all 9N/2N models never had a SOLENOID (RELAY) on the Starter Motor. The Relay was not introduced until July,1947 with the release of the new 8N Model and used 3-Wires with the Solenoid. The 9N/2N Starter Motor used only 1-Wire and no solenoid. Now, all 9N/2Ns after 1940 used the Round-Can Cutout Circuit in the electrical system and that is often confused to be a Relay/Solenoid. They are NOT the same thing, have totally different functions. The CUTOUT is mounted behind the dash. In addition to the electrical system, they used a 1-wire/3-brush, 11-AMP A Circuit Generator, and after 1942 had a belt tensioner attached. All FORD Tractors used from 1939 thru 1950 used the Front Mount Distributor and the BALLAST RESISTOR. The distributor is a bit tricky setting the points, timing them, and mounting of the unit on the engine must be done only one correct way. By the way, ALL FORD VEHICLES used the 6-VOLT/POSITIVE GROUND ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, not just the tractors. In the late 1950s the tractors added diesel models that now used a 12-VOLT system but still with a GEN and POS GRN. Many prior models were switched over to 12V/NEG GRN using an ALT instead of the GEN and the Cutout, or & VOLTAGE REGULATOR after 1948. Some D-I-Y 12V switch-out jobs are done incorrectly, and some OEM 6V systems are done incorrectly as well. It matters. Know this before doing any work. There is an excellent document written by a long-time member, JMOR, called WIRING PICTOGRAMS. These have sketches with pictures of all the correct ways to wire these old Ns, in both 6V and 12V setups. There are no FORD documents on a 12V setup prior to 1958. Also, the OEM 9N-12250 BALLAST RESISTOR is used only with models that have the front mounted distributor, regardless if using 6V or 12V. If doing a 12V setup, and using the OEM square can 6V Coil, you will need to add an external 1-OHM ceramic resistor or equivalent in the coil circuit. Best to invest in a verified 12V Coil and discard any added resistor. Now, there is a Neutral Safety Start Pushbutton, a round part that was mounted on the dash with early 1939 models then moved to the lower trans shifter cover. This too is often mistakenly confused with a starter motor solenoid. An AMMETER completes the circuit, and all are wired correctly. Lights were never factory installed features; they were always a dealer supplied optional accessory until 1954. Incorrect wiring on lighting kits is often the root cause problem with shorts. FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring with both a 6V and 12V systems. Your friend needs to determine if he has a 6V or a 12V setup. Just because there is a 12V battery (or 6V) on the tractor does not mean the system is wired correctly for that setup. Your ESSENTIAL MANUALS and wiring documents are your best friends. Get them and study along with your Bible. Dont do anything else until then including buying any new parts. Here are some documents to get you going until you get your own hard copies. Come back and we can discuss further or email me too.

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR WIRING DIAGRAMS, after S/N 12500, OEM 6V/POS GRN:
center

center

center

center

FORD TRACTOR WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR:
center

center

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR OEM BALLAST RESISTOR, used only with FRONT MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:
swlv82hl.jpg
Laahz4tl.jpg
JvtnHeHl.jpg

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR OEM 9N-10505-B CUTOUT CIRCUIT:
U2VXum1l.jpg

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR OEM 9N-11001 STARTER MOTOR:
bGPHvJdl.jpg
TdPrmlil.jpg
*NOTE: UNIT IS 1-WIRE with NO SOLENOID.

FORD 8N TRACTOR OEM 8N-11001 STARTER MOTOR w/SOLENOID ATTACHED:
arCFdgnl.jpg
Bx48Ahcl.jpg

**NOTE: THE 3-WIRE RELAY (SOLENOID) WAS NOT USED ON 9N/2N UNITS.

EARLY 1939 9N START PUSHBUTTON, LH DASH MOUNTED:
center

LATER, AFTER 9N 1940, START PUSHBUTTON:
center

***NOTE: START PUSHBUTTON WAS MOVED TO LOWER TRANS CASE COVER BY RUBBER BOOT AND NOW INCORPORATED A SAFETY FUNCTION THAT REQUIRED ONLY STARTING IN NEUTRAL.

FRONT MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR w/TIMING & FIRING ORDER:
center

center

center

center

FORD 8N TRACTOR DASH WIRING, used 1948 THRU 1950:
center

***NOTE: OEM 6V/POS GRN w/ 8N-10505 VOLTAGE REGULATOR. 9N/2N MODELS NEVER USED A VR EXCEPT ON EARLY 39 UNITS.

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION:
center

****NOTE: ENGINE BLOCK HAND STAMPED SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION. ALL 9N/2NS USED THE 9N ID CODE AND HAD A STAR SYMBOL PREFIX & SUFFIX.

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
center

Tim Daley(MI)​

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back