Ford and GM transmissions

dhermesc

I had heard Ford and GM had developed their 10 speed transmission for their pickups together, apparently that isn't the case. Ford developed the 10 speed for the pickups, GM developed a lighter 9 speed for FWD cars and they were supposed to "share" their respective products. With Ford basically getting out the car business (they will only have 1 FWD car built in the US) they decided to opt for the lighter and cheaper 8 speed transmission they had already sourced while continuing to share their 10 speed with GM - for now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ford-refuses-to-use-gms-9-speed-automatic-transmission/ar-AAwds7T?ocid=spartandhp

(quoted from post at 12:19:58 04/27/18) I had heard Ford and GM had developed their 10 speed transmission for their pickups together, apparently that isn't the case. Ford developed the 10 speed for the pickups, GM developed a lighter 9 speed for FWD cars and they were supposed to "share" their respective products. With Ford basically getting out the car business (they will only have 1 FWD car built in the US) they decided to opt for the lighter and cheaper 8 speed transmission they had already sourced while continuing to share their 10 speed with GM - for now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ford-refuses-to-use-gms-9-speed-automatic-transmission/ar-AAwds7T?ocid=spartandhp
eally ought to get your news somewhere besides MSN......"refuse"? sensationalism headlines! Ford uses it in their pickups as does GM. Some of those 8/ transmissions are just the 10 without 1 or 2 gears/clutches, i.e., variants. Hardly, a "refusal"!

:roll: :roll:

GM and Ford have been cooperating on transmissions for over 10 years. As of about 2006, Ford started using a GM design in their vehicles. At the time, Ford didn’t have the money to develop their own. There has been a lot of cooperation between all the companies for many years. They compete, but cooperate when it makes sense. I used to go to a GM foundry, about 30% of their output was Ford and Chrysler. I suspect there is less these days, since all of the companies have outsourced most manufacturing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back