Ford/Fordson engine swap

Hi. Richard from NZ requesting a bit of info on 'Ford' diesels.
I am involved in a club that restores and operates locomotives and rolling stock that was used to transport logs from the forests to the sawmills. We have both steam and diesel powered equipment.
Recently, the club acquired a small diesel powered 'rail tractor' (photo of similar attached) based on a Fordson Major. The four cylinder engine has seized and we are intending to replace it. The serial number on the seized block is S773721.
The club has a rather sweet running Ford 2712E S892787. Will this be a simple 'bolt-in' engine exchange ?
Thanks, RJS.
imgFJN0145.jpg

Thanks for the timely responses.
The 2712E is indeed a Ford industrial power unit. It was until recently the motor driving the agitator bowl on a transit mixer truck. A number of local tractor enthusiasts have also hinted at the potential problem of connecting the 2712 to the lower part of the Fordson Major bell-housing. Are the sumps interchangeable by any chance ?
It's 'early days' yet. We must first remove the seized motor and determine whether that's feasible to repair, but it does look ominous with rust and moisture visible through the oil filler cap on the tappet cover.
I shall keep you all posted.
RJS.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the timely responses.
The 2712E is indeed a Ford industrial power unit. It was until recently the motor driving the agitator bowl on a transit mixer truck. A number of local tractor enthusiasts have also hinted at the potential problem of connecting the 2712 to the lower part of the Fordson Major bell-housing. Are the sumps interchangeable by any chance ?
It's 'early days' yet. We must first remove the seized motor and determine whether that's feasible to repair, but it does look ominous with rust and moisture visible through the oil filler cap on the tappet cover.
I shall keep you all posted.
RJS.
No, you cannot change the sumps, the pattern is different in the bolts that hold it to the block. Problem is the mounting of the larger oil pump and the fact that it picks up from the front of the sump rather than the middle. On a tractor, I have seen Ford Cargo engines used which have a similar setup but in those cases, the sump has been left as it is and the wishbone sump mounting has been changed and extra side rails used.

There must be hundreds of the E1A Major range over there, it might be easier to pick up an engine from a Super, Power or Fordson Major Diesel, all of which would drop straight in. Even a Ford Thames Trader engine would be easier to adapt. Again, most parts are available to repair your existing engine, rust on the rockers is no problem, it is the bores that matter and even then, new liners are readily available. Engine overhaul kits including pistons and liners, valves and all the gaskets are available from Sparex, at least they are in Australia.

I love the engine that you are trying to use, one of the best Ford produced. I strongly believe that it should have gone into the Ford 5000 tractor when that range came out.

Upvote 0
With the simplicity of the Major engine, and the use of wet sleeves, it seems to me that repairing the existing engine would be far more practical.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back