Friday Interesting Iron Work 7/6

Majorman

scotland 4 023.JPGForth Rail Bridge

The famous Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland, over the Firth of Forth. I have seen this many times as we used to test combines in the hills overlooking the bridge and, back in the mists of time, I saw the construction of the road bridge that runs alongside and, again have crossed it many times. There is now another road bridge but I have yet to see it. Ann and I have also crossed this bridge on a train.

There is a legend that says the painters have a job for life as by the time they have started painting on one side and reached the other, it is time to go back and start again. That is what the structures are on the bridge in this picture, protection for the men painting the metalwork.

@Majorman

Looks like they "wrap" the work area to also capture the dust and debris from sandblasting the iron.

They do that sort of thing here in the U.S.

Would be a dirty, hot job to prep the iron for sure.

The engineer in charge of building the bridge was Sir John Fowler. He was a phenomenal engineer and had many achievements.
A different John Fowler was something like the John Deere of Britain. He developed the steam plow and steam traction engine, and
his company expanded into many fields. They are known in this country for the Field Marshall diesel tractors, of which a few were
imported to Canada and are shown at various tractor meets.

A similar bridge was built in Quebec. It has had a tragic history, but has survived to this day. It is an expensive monument
to railway engineering of the early 20th Century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back