Fuel consumption question

HAYBOY1

Member
I recently purchased a JD 4250 MFWD with the quad range in it. I have a 4430 as well but I noticed the 4250 uses fuel at an alarming rate, and I have hardly used it. I know that the 4430 would burn about a 1/3 of the same amount. Any thoughts as to why? Or is this normal for this model? Thanks in advance, Mike
 
The 4250 should use less fuel than the 4430. I would be checking my oil to make sure there isn't any fuel going in there due to a bad pump. Make sure it isn't leaking anywhere. Are you getting excessive smoke? If someone has had their fingers in the pump and you are on the throttle a lot you could use a lot of fuel fast.

Are you using the 42 the same way and for the same things you used to use your 44 for?

The 4050 series was the series that Deere improved fuel economy by leaps and bounds, at least on the larger ones 4650/4850 I've never spent much time looking at the 4050-4450 but can imagine it's much the same.
 
Oh yeah, you will also use more fuel running the MFWD than you will without running it. On construction equipment they say add 10%.
 
I wouldn't think it would use it like that either. I had a 4040. It wasn't much worse than the 354 Perkins in my Oliver.
 
The seat of the pants and the fuel gauge suffer some accuracy problems.
Only way you will know for certain is to hook up to a dyno and measure fuel consumption.
Hitch heights, tire size/construction/pressure, transmission, ground speed M4WD will all sway the numbers.
Either the 4250 has problems/been tinkered with/abused. Or the math has become skewed.
The 4430 is rated for 125.9HP at 15.6 gallons per hour. The 4250 is rated for 120.2HP at 15.7 gallons per hour.
With M4WD the 4250 will drag the 4430 around like a toy.
 
Yeah, should have thought of the seat of the pants effect also.

Are you measuring the amount of fuel you put in vs. the hours you put on the tractor or are you just watching the fuel gauge? I don't trust fuel gauges much on any tractor, they just give a rough idea of how much fuel is there, not a unit in which I would use to calculate my fuel consumption.

I'm not disputing the numbers, I looked them up myself I'm just surprised that the 4250 was rated so low in horsepower hours per gallon.
4050 - 15.12
4250 - 15.78
4450 - 16.36
4650 - 16.99
4850 - 17.47
for some reason that just seems backwards.
 
When a high HP tractor is operated at reduced load, the parasitic losses... fan, alternator, hydraulics, etc., etc., remain about the same, so the parasitic losses become a more significant amount of the total fuel consumption at lower HPs, LOWERING the HP hours per gallon.
 
Well to be honest, I have not had much of a chance to try it out yet under a load. The tractor has roughly 3k hours on it, and has not one leak on it. It was maintained pretty well from what I can see. The guy I purchased it from actually took the time to reverse the tread on the front tires to minimize chatter on the road and reduce tearing in the fields. I will most certainly check the oil, for fuel. I don't think it has been tinkered with. I will put ti to the test here in the next few days when I start plowing. With the prices of fuel ($4.20) a gallon right now, I am a bit worried to say the least!! Thanks for all your input, it is greatly appreciated! Mike
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top