simonstvo

New User
Hi Guys, I’m very new to vintage tractors. Yesterday I purchased a 1952 fergusson TVO and wondered if anyone has any advice on the best fuel mix. The previous owner told me to experiment which isn’t ideal. Any help would be much appreciated 😀

Hi Guys, I’m very new to vintage tractors. Yesterday I purchased a 1952 fergusson TVO and wondered if anyone has any advice on the best fuel mix. The previous owner told me to experiment which isn’t ideal. Any help would be much appreciated 😀

No mixtures. Regular gasoline. Low compression engine so no need for premium.

I avoid E10. It goes bad much quicker than non-corn based fuel and can then cause fuel system problems. Thus I'm usually using 91 octane as that is all I can get nearby without ethanol. If you run E10 try to use it within a month or two.

I avoid E10. It goes bad much quicker than non-corn based fuel and can then cause fuel system problems. Thus I'm usually using 91 octane as that is all I can get nearby without ethanol. If you run E10 try to use it within a month or two.
I’m in England and been told to mix Kerosine (heating oil) with unleaded petrol and a shot of 2 stroke oil? I’m none the wiser

I think I was wrong. Just did a search on TVO engines.....strange things

"Launched in 1949 the Ferguson TED 20 Tractor differed from the TEA 20 in that it was a vaporising oil burning version. The aluminium shroud over the exhaust and inlet manifold assisted in making the change over from petrol to TVO quicker and helped retain heat which assisted vaporisation. The less obvious difference was the duel fuel tank, comprising of a small section for petrol for cold starting and a larger main tank for the vaporising oil."

Wow! Good job Mad Farmer. My bad for assuming again.

Seems they start/warm up on gasoline, then have a separate tank that runs a mixture that needs to be pre-heated.

I need to read up more to understand how exactly they work.

Sorry to OP who I think was trying to find out how to make up the mystery mixture.

One reference stated that dealers/sellers needed some sort of license to make/sell it. See below references:

https://www.fofh.co.uk/tech/tvo.htm

"TRACTOR VAPORISING OIL

There must only ever be 2 ingredients in TVO
  1. Petrol (unleaded is absolutely fine for a Ferguson tractor) 98 Octane
  2. 28 Second Heating Oil 20 Octane
Aim for an Octane value between 55 and 70
  • 55 if doing very hard work
  • 70 if doing topping and the like
To give you some idea of the sums:-
  • 1 petrol and 1 heating oil comes out at 59 Octane
  • 2 petrol and 1 heating oil comes out at 72 Octane
  • 1 petrol and 2 heating oil comes out at 46 Octane
  • Petrol on its own is suitable for road runs (with the heat shield removed).
Octane is not the only factor, but is provides a good guide line

Dieselfuel is designed to cause ignition by compression and will encouragepinking. It is not designed to burn in TVO tractors, and no uppercylinder lubricant is required in these tractors, so do not useanything other than petrol and heating oil.

Using fuel whichdoes not burn completely will destroy the lubricating properties of theoil and that (in a Ferguson TE tractor) will result in wear to the camshaft bushes and then loss of oil pressure from cam shaft bushes. Lossof oil pressure will, then result in damage to the crank shaft.Lubricating oil in a TVO tractor's engine should be changed accordingto the Tractor Instruction book."

https://www.fofh.co.uk/tech/tvolic.htm

"GET A FREE TVO LICENCE AND BE LEGAL

Anyone in the UK who purchases heating oil (Kerosene) or obtains it in any other way to mix with other oils to make Tractor Vaporising Oil (TVO) is now required to have a licence to do so. The selling dealer of Kerosene will require you to show your licence before he can sell to you.

Thre are a number of very strict restrictions that must be obeyed or HM Revenue & Customs will withdraw the privilege and any breach of the terms may consitute an offence.

The restrictions are:
  1. You cannot use rebated gas oil (red diesel) in the mixture under any circumstances, unless the tractor is only being used for bona fide agricultural, horticultural or forestry work. This of course excludes road runs, shows, ploughing matches or any domestic or pleasure activities.
  2. The concession only applies to tractor models that were in production before 1960.
  3. The mixed fuel must not be used in any other vehicle
  4. The fuel must not be mixed in bulk for resale or storage.

The FoFH has obtained a general licence, which we can issue free of charge to paid up members.

To obtain a copy of this licence send a stamped addressed envelope, your membership number, make & model of tractor, serial & engine numbers to:-

Bob Wood, 9 Crawley Cresent, Trowbridge, Wilts, BA14 9SW"

Last edited:

See post #7. It will get you started, pun intended!

20 Litres of 28 sec Central heating oil

5 Litres of unleaded petrol

3 Litres of Diesel

Mix these in the tank and it will make one tank full

Best mix I have ever used

BobUK

Bw aure to start and finish running the tractor on straight petrol, that's what the small tank's for . Finishing on petrol will make certain there's straight petrol in the carb for the next time . Two stroke or ashless oil is a good upper cylinder lubricant , Kerosene can be hard on engines . Keep an eye on the oil level , any unexplained rise will be oil dilution from Kerosene, if that happens change the oil straight away

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back