Gas Tank 1992 GMC (delete if wrong place) Fuel Filter Fu

gdtractor

I have a 1992 GMC 3500 ..
Runs great (generally) but after a few days the fuel filter fills with creamy like gas and/or orange colored junk .. not real thick, doesn't LOOK like rust .. tank looks new from outside. .. but was a "Fire Dept" truck and very few miles .. but purchased by a private party to plow snow .. so I think it has set a lot!
A person told me that GM made gas liners at one time that "melted" after several years (????) another person says .. I am running the gas tank with too little gas in it !! (?????) ... I do have a relatively new tank from a 1998 and like new fuel pump .. I know this is a tractor site .. but I have never been disappointed by asking a question on this website.. if you can help .... thanks (especially if there is a product/chemical that is used to CLEAN gas tanks .... ) again .. this is NOT chunky or pieces of rust ... but too think to flow fluidly through my fuel filter .... (after running for an hour of so .. ) thanks much .... Gary (GDTractor)

I don't know, I have a 93 Chevrolet van and there is no kind of liner in the gas tank. If there was a tank liner it would come out like flaked paint in little
pieces. I'm inclined to think there is an excessive amount of water in the tank.

(quoted from post at 01:53:10 08/13/22) I don't know, I have a 93 Chevrolet van and there is no kind of liner in the gas tank. If there was a tank liner it would come out like flaked paint in little
pieces. I'm inclined to think there is an excessive amount of water in the tank.

Really? That does make sense ... seeing that is SET for a long time ....
I had NEVER heard about a liner in any relatively new vehicles either .... until this week .. :)

Maybe a thoroughly RINSING out would help ... or just put a new tank in?
Thanks much for responding!
Gary

In the past it probably had some gas ''rot'' in it and a P.O. cleaned it up and lined it with some aftermarket ''goo'' that has deteriorated.

GM DID use some plastic trays inside steel fuel tanks that hold a reserve amount of fuel surrounding the fuel pump, I have seen them get busted up when the tank bottom takes a hit, but (so far) none that has deteriorated into goo (NOT saying it may not have happened).

The last one I bought was around $200.00 for a new tank
and pump. Maybe $400.00 by now

Whatever is in the tank needs to come out before it causes more damage.

If the 98 tank and pump will direct fit, that would be the easiest fix.

Used to be you could have a tank cleaned at a radiator shop, but they are all
gone now, so cleaning up a difficult mess like that could be time consuming and
might result in leaks. The pump having ingested the gunk could also be damaged.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back