Gehl wheel rake cylinders

rrlund

I've had a Gehl 318 3pt mounted wheel rake for years. I bought a 420 pull type last fall. It has 2 hydraulic cylinders on it, but
both of them have vent plugs in them on the down pressure end. They're plumbed to a T so there's just one hose to the tractor.
When I bought it, the guy said the left side always raises and lowers first, so he always chained the left side down loose when he
got in the field so it didn't have to come all the way up before the right side started to raise.

I want to use pull it with an Oliver 1550. Those of you who know Oliver hydraulics know they don't like one way cylinders. I have
the tractor set up for one way, but it's so painfully slow raising and lowering that rake it's maddening. Is there any reason
those cylinders can't have the plugs taken out and make them 2 way? The rake should still float enough to not damage the wheels
shouldn't it?

The tractor has dual remotes and I thought I'd run each cylinder separately. That way I can just raise each side a little bit on
the end of the field, just enough to get up off the hay. If I get to one lone windrow or a V in the middle somewhere, I could
just raise one side up and rake with the other. I don't want to go buy three more new hoses and fittings if anybody knows a good
reason those rakes won't work with 2 way cylinders. I figured it's just plumbed the way it is because it's cheaper that way.

I have a 520, but see no reason it wouldn't work! Cheap would most likely be the reason, I like the older Gehl equipment but this rake and a chopper box I have almost sickens me by how cheap they made them!

Success! I think anyway. It cost me $165 for hoses and fittings. I haven't had it in the field yet, but in the driveway it's almost working too fast. Kinda scares me how quick it goes up and down. I think I'm gonna like being able to raise one side first in odd shaped pieces and if I come town to one swath.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back