While I was hoping it will run for a long
time to come, I'm afraid it isn't so. I
found a torn intake boot at the turbo on
the bottom side where you couldn't see it,
and it's been ingesting dirt for a while
now it looks. The compressor wheel on the
turbo is pretty rough as well. I'm gonna
fix the intake boot, replace the turbo, and
get whatever miles she has left out of her.
Still runs very well, even better with the
new injector O-rings, but I'm sure it
didn't do it any favors. Took me about 6
hours total, the worst was getting
everything cleaned up. My back and knees
sure were sore from bending and leaning
over it for that long.
Apparently I didn't have enough though,
tonight after work I went and replaced the
engine oil cooler on a Cat 320B excavator
for a buddy. More leaning, and kneeling on
hard surfaces. The bolts on the cooler
cover behind the injection pump are really
hard to get to and very trying on your
patience. They of course go directly into
the water jacket, and I had to heat quite a
few of them to get them out. I did break
one off in the block though, so I had to
take that out. After some cleaning,
reassembly, got it fired back up and ready
to dig for this weekend. I know I'm gonna
feel it tomorrow, bent over, and kneeling
for the last 2 evenings. I still work in my
shop each night, but mostly on tractors and
farm equipment, stuff that doesn't require
hours of straining yourself. After working
for the dealer for almost 10 years, I gave
it up. That heavy equipment wrenching makes
an old man out of a boy. Kudos to you guys
that still do it, my knees are shot, and so
are my shoulders.
a177129.jpg

a177130.jpg

a177131.jpg

I have about gave up on work that effects my body for days after I did the work. I can still do the work but its the aftereffect that cost me. Under dash work is the worst not only does it kill my back it kills one of my feet. I got it caught under a mower when I was 9 it took 50 years before it became a issue. Both shoulders are junk along with a Knee, Tennis elbow etc.

I just brought a Topside Creeper it does help. I went thru a stress test this week the doc ask if I prep for the test I said yes I ate two big bowls of chilly beans the night before I was gassed up well for the treadmill. He said nothing was wrong with my heart, liver, kidneys my issue with chest pain is age and the heavy lifting I have been doing.

How can you tell oil was getting in the fuel bowl from leaking injector o-rings is this the same bowl that houses the fuel filter in the intake valley?. I never done much diesel work now that I have a couple going to have to learn as I tell folks I have to work on it as much as I drive it.

Hobo, when you go to change the fuel
filter, the one in the valley, it will be
full of black engine oil instead of nice
clear diesel. Because the HPOP pumps the
oil pressure to the injectors to around
2500-3000 psi to fire them off, when the O-
rings start to leak, the higher pressure
engine oil leaks into the passage right
next to it around the injector, which is
the lower pressure fuel supply to the
injector. I've been following the threads
the guys that have a 7.3 post on here.

Which means all the fuel in your tank probably has black oil in it too.And will probably take several tank fill ups to clear out.
I used to work on trucks for 40 years-I don't care to work on vehicles either.I just recently helped my son replace a clutch in his front wheel drive car,and I hated it.It is hard on the body.
After retirement,I took a part time job working on tractors and farm equipment at a former IH dealer.At first I thought it would be easier on the body,but sometimes it is,and sometimes it is not.But I guess fixing things stays in the blood.Mark

You're right Mark. Sometimes it is easier, sometimes it is harder to work on farm equipment, but I guess that's what I'm used to. I don't feel near as bad today as I thought I would, just like I did too much stretching from leaning over lol

I take it that the arrow points to the one that broke off. I would have thought that you would have broken one of the top ones. They appear to be much more accessible. :)

It's always the hard to get one that break
off lol. At least I was able to heat it,
heat it some more, then heat it again and
get it out. It had JUST enough to grab with
Vise Grips and work back and forth. Whew!

I'm over 300,000 miles on my '96 F-250 PSD, did glowplugs around 250,000. No sign of oil in the fuel filter about 100 miles ago.

Have to agree with you, leaning over working on my PSD is not my favorite thing to do anymore. Too many birthdays.

Gotta keep the old truck running, too good of shape, and new ones WAY too expensive. My '96 has the Zf-5 speed, no manual trans option on new trucks, even Dodge Ram is all auto for '18. I don't drive enough to justify a diesel anymore, but I won't give up my manual transmission.

Another thing to watch for on high mile 7.3s is fuel in the cooling system. That is caused by cracked injector cups. Been starting to see that a lot as these age and the miles pile up.

I wish mine had a manual! I've got a Dana 60 front axle for it, and have thought of making it a manual, but I also have a P-pumped Cummins that was intended for it, but I just love that 7.3. Decisions, decisions...

Yep, thankfully no symptoms of that yet, and they all looked good inside, nice and shiny. Didn't see any discoloration that I've seen with some cracked ones.

When I retired I started restoring (somewhat) tractors. Today I'm running model trains and the mechanicing is sitting at my desk repairing couplers, or oiling engines. Chair has extra pads in the seat and lumbar areas, environment is controlled, fingernails stay clean and knuckles aren't all bandaged up. Yepper times change.

My 95 cracked a injector cup at 210k miles, I love that body style but the automatic trans failures drove me to parting with it.
Present truck is a 04 Super Duty with ZF6 manual converted to p pump Cummins.

I have a nephew that specializes in working on 7.3's

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back