Gleaner K2 Plot Combine - Assistance Needed

OldCrow51

Let me start by saying I have never owned or ran a combine that amounts to much but have always wanted to. I said that to hopefully garner a little patience with me.;)

I picked up a K2 with GM 250 gas burner that has, as I was told, always been in a shed with a 3RWN and 13' grain head. To give a little background before I ask my question please see modifications I've noticed so far made to the combine. The K2 was believed to be set up by pioneer for corn.

Here are the modifications I noticed so far:
1. All the tailings augur system and return to feeder house are gone.
2. Converted to Hydro transmission.
3. Lever/linkage removed to control header and converted to Electric over Hydraulic(My current issue lies here).
4. Extra cab has been added to the side of the original, nicely done I might add.
5. Air compressor mounted externally to run some of the plot equipment placed in extra cab, cylinder to open sampling bin.
6. Clean grain auger re-configured to dump into the extra cab portion.
7. Hydraulic control and auger added to take grain from extra cab to bin.
8. 2 extra electrical boxes and lots of wires to run fans, etc.... for what equipment they were using to pull/clean samples.
9. Straw chopper in back doesn't look like it is configured the way Gleaner did it according to the operator's manual I have.

So my question is after switching over to the bean header my hydraulic reel would not lift. After looking how they had the elect/hyd configured they are returning the fluid through the valve bank (Outside one way valve bank for header control) and use a screw to keep the valve open. This worked fine with the corn setup as you didn't need hydraulic function for any of the other valve banks. Now that I have a bean head on it I need the other two functions to work, 1. Hyd Reel function 2. Hyd Variable reel speed, which it doesn't as the priority is going to the elec/hyd header valve added on. After I back the set screw off to allow the bank to return to neutral the other valves function as intended. So we decided to see if we could plumb it to the one on the inside of the valve banks, one used to control variable speed I think as it is no longer hooked up, so that priorty would be given to the outer banks first. This worked but it still want lift the header. Our thinking is the pressure relief in the variable speed for movement is set low so that it won't lift the header.

Could I switch the two pressure relief valves and make it all work? If not where is the best place or option to tap into the setup to keep all functions working?

Thanks for your help and pictures below to help with visuals. If you need other shots please let me know.

Pictures did not get uploaded first time around.
mvphoto84241.jpg

mvphoto84242.jpg

mvphoto84243.jpg

mvphoto84244.jpg

mvphoto84245.jpg

mvphoto84246.jpg

That is extra space where there plot sampling equipment went with an extra rider who logged everything as they went through test plots.

A K combine often sells for $1000 or less here. Actually half that will get most of them.

Those plot combines often sell for $5000 to even $7000 here. Folks wanting them drive a long ways as they are rare.

Id think about what you have, and what you want, and where you could make some money....... If you happened to get this thing cheap.

They are modified to run 20 foot long rows grain flows through the side of the big cab, the second person can weigh and test each small sample and the driver moves on to the next sample.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not particularly attached to combine or K2, what caught my eye when looking was the extra cab(Room for Kids) and the part were it has been in a shed most it's life doing plot work. I also wouldn't need anything bigger than a 4 row or 15' platform. I'd never be doing more than a couple hundred acres so the small combine actually appealed to me.

Any thoughts on the best way to advertise the machine, I'd be willing to part with it and find a 4 row machine or a good K2

Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back