Glow Plugs 560 Diesel

with an ohm meter. or just take them out and bench test them on a battery is my best way to check them. give them power and they will get red hot in 3 seconds if good. plus once red do not keep power to them.

I've read where guys have modified the BERU ZD-11 quick heat glow plug for a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. They have to run a thread cutting die down the existing threads on the glowplug that matches the threads on the stock glowplugs for the 560. You only need to hold the glow plug button down a few seconds while cranking and the engine starts.

+ a million ! 7.3 PS glow plugs make a night and day difference. Hold glow plugs for ten seconds or less
and hit the starter button. She's running on all six cylinders immediately.

Three questions. What are the chances of all the original glow plugs are working in a 1960 560? What is a good brand for replacing them? When removing the old ones any chance they could twist off?

there still can be original ones working if the tractor is low hr,ed. long as they are moving with out much force they will come out while lubing the threads screwing them in and out. if the bind up and get solid it will be a problem , usually no problems. if the ends break off then pull the injectors. plus remember to make sure your replacement ones are 12 volt. if 6 volt you will burn them out in 10 seconds. thats why GM had them hooked to a relay, to cycle them on and off. also another time i put some in a 560 and they all burnt out on the first start. the guy had 2 big high amp batteries with an alternator and that was that. never did find out if they were 6 or 12 volt ones. they were jobber ones though.

plus you could run a wire to each one and just look for a small spark at the tip when striking the wire to each one.

i just gave you the 2 ways to test in the tractor. with an ohm meter, use the beep test for continuity. or have someone sit on the tractor and hold the button while you check for a spark at the glow plug terminal by striking the terminal after u unplug it, of if no one to help get a wire from the battery and do it that way. or pull them out and check on battery. 3 ways .

I do know there are some cheaper imports that fit the 560 engine that you do NOT what to use. We had replaced 6 of them in our 706 and they didn't last long - as in a week or so. We bought the much mor expensive versions made in the USA and they have been in for over a year and work great. The imports might be based on the 6 volt and they don't handle being used at all.

(quoted from post at 15:56:09 06/18/23) How can you check that a glow plug is actually working? I have 12 volts to the glow plug terminal.

Amp draw is best. They draw about 8 each as I remember.

Those are probably good. I know we found some online for $40-$50 and they burned out and a couple fried sections of the wiring harness.

The set we ended up installing (looked at converting to the IDI 7.3 glow plugs) I believe ran about $120-$130. After repairing the wiring harness all went well.

To test for continuity in the tractor do you connect one lead to ground and them the other to the glow plug terminal and if working you get continuity?

(quoted from post at 11:41:33 06/20/23) To test for continuity in the tractor do you connect one lead to ground and them the other to the glow plug terminal and if working you get continuity?

Yes. But compare resistance values between them all- you may find one with a much different value indicating it is bad.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back