Good Auction, good Friends, GREAT FINDS!

warbaby

I didnt want to glom onto the post about wanting some early 9N parts (and these aint for sale), so I'll post this here:

I went to an rain-soaked auction yesterday near Lansing, Mi. because I was interested in a rough 641 if it went cheap (it didnt-2550.oo!). But all was not lost. I found an amazing stash of EARLY Ford 9N parts (and a few later ones) scattered amongst the collective debris of over 100 years of family farming:

A 9N-1000-A generator

The correct pulley for the generator (found a few rows away, in a lard tin full of saved pulleys!)

The bronze/brass sediment bulb/ fuel shut off (again, in a box of used sediment bulbs and fuel filters.)

A very nice pair of C.H. Hall lights, and a pair of later Tract-o-lites.

A hand crank. I dont know if its a Ford issued piece, but it fits my 2N and clears the bumper.

I spotted that generator, sans pulley as soon as I got to the auction, sitting on a card table full of, among other things, drill indexes and engine drip oilers. I couldnt believe it! I kept coming back to that table, ''looking'' at everything else BUT that generator so as not to tip anyone off as to its rarity and value. While I was hovering there, an auction and tractor buddy of mine came up and we started talking. We looked at the oilers, looked at the drill bits and every other thing on that table but he didnt even notice the generator, much to my relief. As we wandered off our separate ways, I found a large lard tin packed with pulleys of every size and dumped it out. Right at the bottom was the generator pulley for that generator, drowned in a few inches of collected rainwater. I reunited it with the generator and kept looking in the rows of boxes upon boxes and piles for more Ford stuff. I found the headlights in a pile of car parts from the 1920's to the mid 1970's. The early gas shut off was in a box of other fuel related bits and bobs. You can bet I scattered the scrap metal piles and combed the barn lofts looking looking for an aluminum hood and doglegs!

Once the auction commenced, I got that box with the shut off in it for 5 dollars, the same price the Tract-o-lites cost me. The C.M. Halls, due to their auctioneer-touted ''Rat-Rod'' desirability, took me a whole 20 bucks to get. The crank was in a bundle of other scrap round stock and that cost me a total of 8 dollars.

Finally, hundreds of lots and hours later, the auctioneer got to that card table with the generator on it. He sold off the oilers, one at a time, choice out, to a bunch of slow moving, indecisive gas engine collectors then spent an incredible amount of time selling 2 dollar drill indexes. I think he coulda sold them faster one drill bit at a time! Finally, FINALLY he got to that generator, but had no idea what it was. ''How much for this, this... sewing machine motor?'' he said, ''2 bucks?'' ''Sure.'', I said, then he started his banter-''I got 2, hows about 3?, alright, I got 3, gimme 4!'' I nodded, and kept nodding as the generator kept climbing, one dollar at a time, until it was now past an astronomical 20 bucks. I looked around to see who was bidding against me, and it was my friend who hadnt even noticed (I thought- the sandbagger!) the generator earlier! As the generator got passed 50 bucks the 30 or so folks gathered around became curious as to why. A pile of generators, alternators and starters had sold earlier for under 30 bucks, and a pair of Singer sewing machines didnt even get a bid. Whats the deal with this tiny ''sewing machine motor''?

75.oo and still climbing. My friend, who was totally focused on bidding finally looked across the table and saw me glaring at him, holding the high bid that was just under 100.oo. We both laughed. He said, ''Oh, is it you?'' and I said ''Yeah, and youre the only other person here that knows what that is!'' He stopped bidding and I got the generator- which, along with that brass fuel shut off, was the last major piece I need for my long-delayed 1939 N project.

A few minutes later we met up had a laugh over it. He parts out tractors and had sold one like it a few years ago for 500.oo and said I would make some good money off of it, but I told him it was for a tractor of mine and wouldnt be sold. He said ''Aw, man, if I'd known that, I wouldnt have bid against you.''

Now THATS a friend! I owe him a solid at the next auction.

Once the generator was in my sweaty hands, I gathered up the rest of my rusty swag, paid my bill and headed home. Like T.D. says in the Early 9N Parts Wanted post below, they're still out there, you just gotta keep looking. If I hadnt of went to this auction, I woulda never found these, or even knew what I had missed out on.

On the way home, going past Lansing I got caught in traffic on I-69 eastbound from a bunch of people leaving some sports game. As I crawled along at idle speed through miles of construction zones, surrounded by crazed U of M and Michigan State fans, I dismissively thought. ''What kind of idiot gets up early on a Saturday morning, drives 80 miles in stop-and-go traffic (I had hit this traffic that morning as well...) just to stand around in miserable weather for hours, with like-minded dim-wits hoping to see a big score?''

I guess I'll never understand that mindset...

cvphoto106484.jpg

cvphoto106485.jpg

cvphoto106486.jpg

P.S. Yes, I did pick the colour of the vinyl siding for our house because it was close to 9N/2N grey!

Good finds! I'm not but 50 miles from Lansing. A few weeks ago my buddy in Ohio went to a popular auction and walked away with numerous parts plus a BNO-25 MOTO-TUG! The TUG had the frame partially and rear wheels were welded on but seat, the screened fuel port; and others were there including a brass sediment bulb. It was so dirty you couldn't tell. Now, with the early 9N-10000-A GENERATOR, it needs the 9N-10505-A VOLTAGE REGULATOR in order to operate. The roundcan cutout will not work. The lower steering box has two cast bosse with tapped holes in order to fasten the VR with -see pix. The 9N-10000-A GEN is a 7-AMP, 2-wire/2-brush, 'B' Circuit, unit that needs the VR to function. The roundcan cutout was changed when Ford released the 9N-10000-B' unit. This GEN was still small, a 7-AMP, 1-wire/3-Brush, 'A' Circuit unit and now used the cutout. When a farmer swapped out an A to a B unit, he needed the new cutout too so the dealer kit included a bracket in order to bolt to the steering box wher teh VR was and then it attached the new roundcan cutout. The 'B' GEN had a 3rd Brush Slider HI-LO button and is often passed over by buyers because they don't know. When the 9N-10000-C GEN was released, it was larger, 11-AMP unit, still 1 wire/3-Brush, A Circuit, an use the roundcan cutout. This setup was used all the way thru the rest of 9N and 2N production. The 2N-10000 unit was virtually the same as the 9N-C unit except the 2N had a belt tensioning device attached. I have NOS brushes for the A and B GENS and NOS Pulleys for the A GEN if interested. The GOOD NEWS if you have a 9N-10000-A GEN but no VR, is that the NAA FAG-10505-A VR will work as it is a B Circuit as well. You will have to modify the mounting as they don't match.

FORD TRACTOR 9N-10000-A GENERATOR & 9N-10505-A VOLTAGE REGULATOR:

AtBU9Tvl.jpg
nnVCRyql.jpg
NotAgCLl.jpg
ky80hsRl.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Hi Tim,

I found a box full of voltage regulators (and coils, horn relays and other electrical stuff) at that auction, but forgot where it was located in all the other rows of boxes and missed out on it. That regulator was probably in there because, THANKFULLY, this family just didnt throw things away! After finding that pulley and the sediment bulb in scattered locations, I guess I shouldnt complain too much, especially when theres an available replacement. I downloaded and printed off your fantastic, in-depth article on these generators a few years ago from that ''other'' site and have it in a binder to refer to when I (would, hopefully) get to that stage of rebuilding this tractor, and once I get this generator apart and assess the innards, I'm pretty sure I'll come calling for a pair of those NOS brushes. Right now, all I know about it is that it grudgingly turns over, but the bearings are rusted and grumbly, the key on the armature shaft is jacked and firmly rusted into the slot so I cant push the pulley on to fully seat, the nut (and washer?) is missing, and if I dont stop handling it, I'm gonna wear all the paint off of it!

Oh, Man, a MOTO-TUG is a consistent member of my constantly revised ''Top 10 (or 20, or 50...) Fords To Have'' list! No luck yet, but I DO have some pretty rough BNO wheels here that your buddy can have if he wants them. There are 4 -or maybe its 6?- and if you piece them together, you MIGHT get a couple of good ones. If his centers have been welded on, these might be better than what he has. Just say the word and I can send you some pictures, or better yet, drop them off at your place as I live just north of Davison- we are practically neighbors.

I am going to order that 10505 voltage regulator today!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back