vatordude

New User
Hello all. Didn't see an introduction topic room, so saying hello here. I've bearing tearing stuff apart and putting it back together since I could hold a wrench, which turned me into an elevator mechanic 30 some odd years ago. Guess I'm getting better at repairing stuff, cuz I don't seem to have as many jars of spare parts when I get it put back together. I don't have any equipment, so unless you're close by and need use of some crooked fingers or over stretched muscles, I probably won't be of much help. But I have a buddy who has a couple of older units, and is often in need of help. An old Ford tractor, and now a Case 1740 skid steer. Haven't found the serial number for the Case yet, but guessing it's not to many years younger than me. I just had a set of manuals delivered for it, but other than that, I've been unable to find information online about this unit, which is how I wound up here.

When he bought it, he was told it had a left side steering issue, but when he got it home, it turned out to be a bigger issue. I took the floor pan out, and watched as the gearbox was bouncing around like a jackhammer. After some creative, and newly created swear words, managed to get the cross member out. The gearbox mount had broken away from the cross member, and after getting it cleaned up, noticed that it had been repaired at least a couple of times. So my question(s) are:

Are there supposed to be isolation pads under the cross member?

Is it a drive shaft alignment problem that is causing the force to snap the steel and welds?

Is there possibly an issue with the gearbox that could create the force necessary to crack steel?

Thanks all for taking the time to read and respond. Hope you have a great New Years.

Hello all. Didn't see an introduction topic room, so saying hello here. I've bearing tearing stuff apart and putting it back together since I could hold a wrench, which turned me into an elevator mechanic 30 some odd years ago. Guess I'm getting better at repairing stuff, cuz I don't seem to have as many jars of spare parts when I get it put back together. I don't have any equipment, so unless you're close by and need use of some crooked fingers or over stretched muscles, I probably won't be of much help. But I have a buddy who has a couple of older units, and is often in need of help. An old Ford tractor, and now a Case 1740 skid steer. Haven't found the serial number for the Case yet, but guessing it's not to many years younger than me. I just had a set of manuals delivered for it, but other than that, I've been unable to find information online about this unit, which is how I wound up here.

When he bought it, he was told it had a left side steering issue, but when he got it home, it turned out to be a bigger issue. I took the floor pan out, and watched as the gearbox was bouncing around like a jackhammer. After some creative, and newly created swear words, managed to get the cross member out. The gearbox mount had broken away from the cross member, and after getting it cleaned up, noticed that it had been repaired at least a couple of times. So my question(s) are:

Is it a drive shaft alignment problem that is causing the force to snap the steel and welds?

Is there possibly an issue with the gearbox that could create the force necessary to crack steel?

Thanks all for taking the time to read and respond. Hope you have a great New Years.
Vatordude, good to havce you drop by! You just happened to come onto YT on the first full day of a completely new forum software package. The hosts have been working for months to get it ready and yesterday was the cut-over at mid day. YT was arguably the most arcgaic forum on the world wide web. Now to your friends Case, I have operated an old Case Uniloader a fair amount but I don't know much about them. If you look at the top left of the page you will see the word "Forums". Click on that and you will see all of the various forums at this site. If you go to Case you may get someone who is more up on this.

Vatordude, good to havce you drop by! You just happened to come onto YT on the first full day of a completely new forum software package. The hosts have been working for months to get it ready and yesterday was the cut-over at mid day. YT was arguably the most arcgaic forum on the world wide web. Now to your friends Case, I have operated an old Case Uniloader a fair amount but I don't know much about them. If you look at the top left of the page you will see the word "Forums". Click on that and you will see all of the various forums at this site. If you go to Case you may get someone who is more up on this.
Thanks showcrop.

Cracks in weldments are difficult to assess unless the cause can be identified by the owner as it happens. I this case it is not possible to do that. SO: my guess is that there could be a shaft alignment issue but it is less likely than an original poor/defective weld that failed over a long service life. Cracks propagate from one end to the other especially where there is a stress riser or stress concentration. Rough steering clutch application and amateur or poor practices contribute to the stress application. Repeated failure at that weld (and maybe other locations intended to control the gearbox) is an indication that you were mislead.
Measuring the straightness of the box within the housing compared to the input shaft location and orientation is the first repair step. Next is grinding or flame/plasma cutting repair weld and bad support material away from the cross member and gearbox mount. Next I would look at all additional places the box could be attached, but isn't so I am sure of the correct original engineering intent. After that I would create a plan to add wedges to temporarily hold the box where it belongs at both ends (levelness with input shaft direction)and from left to right (straightness). I would fabricate a new mount where it is broken now, using thicker low carbon steel to create a better than factory, and wider left to right, mount on the box, and touching the crossmember. I would further assess the potential of adding a mount or strap to the input end of the box to help resist twisting as it reacts to input torque. I would tack weld the mount to the crossmember and gently try the machine for proper motion before final full depth welding and to assess other issues that could occur, like a bent input shaft. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back