Good VFD for 1hp Bridgeport

MeanGene1

The static phase converter on my Bridgeport mill has quit working, looking for a VFD to replace it. 220 1ph in, 3ph out, 1hp 3.2amp motor. Looking for actual experiences, not I read or I heard- thanks

I've installed several Teco Westinghouse FVD's.

Reason for the choice is they are cheap. Only had 2 fail, one died of lightning strike, the other drowned. Buying a more expensive one is buying a lot of features you won't need.

Remember, when using it as a phase converter, you need to go up to the next size. For a 1 HP motor, go with a 2 or 3 HP, whichever is available. Also the motor must be controlled by the VFD, not the original drum switch. You can use the drum switch as an aux input, but not directly wired to the motor.

Have this Fuji on mine, sounds like same motor has worked well for several years.
cvphoto116675.jpg

I put one like this on my 2hp Bridgeport.
eBay item number:233615889246
After setting up it works very well. You should get one bigger than the HP that your going to run. There are about 32 settings that you have to go through, but its not to bad. The directions were not very clear. I leave the normal switch in the forward position and use the VFD to stop and start it. My Bridgeport is variable speed so I leave the VFD in 60htz and use my speed adjustment on the mill. If I want to run in back gear low range, I put the switch in reverse and start the VFD the same way. I run a smaller one like this on my Tool and Cutter Grinder that has a 3/4hp motor. It works well too.

It does not go by horsepower It goes by amperage. Example for a 4 amp load you need about a 7 amp VFD. Size by amperage.

I've installed three versions of these from Amazon, all work well, but this one had the best instructions, all are virtually identical in cost, function and specs, just different enclosures, and more importantly, very different instructions, one on my Index mill, one on a 3 horsepower belt sander, and one on a tool and cutter grinder. They all work perfect, but the one on the Index took some dialing in to get braking and instant reversing where I wanted it.
Amazon VFD

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back