Got to have a bit of fun with the kids outside today

Philip d

We picked up a couple of used snowmobiles earlier this year,the bigger one is a 2009 Arctic Cat 1100 4 stroke non turbo and the smaller one is a 1997 Ski Doo. It was originally a 440 but the previous owner switched it to a 377 fan after the engine went,perfect size for young teens. I taught our youngest son to drive this afternoon and after our daughter got home from a friends house I taught her how to drive. The last snowmobile we had was a late 70?s 250 Elan Ski Doo and it was not much of a machine. There?s barely enough snow but it got the job done and the kids had a blast. My wife and I have trail passes for our province and we?re hoping to get some nice drives in together over the winter.
cvphoto137.jpg

My neighbor had a single cylinder and it ran like a top,the one we had was a twin but it seemed to keep cutting out and running on one cylinder. I?m sure someone likely could have got it running right but we never had much luck with it

When I was a Kid in MI I had an Ariens that thing was a tractor LOL Then I got an Alouette it was fast but wouldn't turn to save it's life.

Got rid of my 2 a few years ago (10). Kids got older and never wanted to ride. Neither did anyone but me. Wife didn't like me riding alone. Traded them off for some cash and a 400 dual sport Suzuki. Zr 600 and a 440 Jag arctic cat. They are a lot of fun.

Phil, I was an avid snowmobiler from 1965 to 1970 and then took it up again in 1998. My current sled is a 2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo. I have averaged maybe 1500 miles per season. These sleds seem to take just as much maintenance as they did 30 years ago, LOL. I suggest that you get them inside and back the track tension all the way off and check the bearings and shafts in the skid very closely. The other weak point of all of them is the front left axle bearing. If your speedometer quits working that bearing is about to fall apart. you should be able to pick the seal off it from in the tunnel and take a peek.

Thank you that?s a good idea,that turbo would pull some nice.
The newer ones have near as much junk as a car does now.
I?ve read the dash and seat needs to come off these to
change the plugs.

Most dangerous piece of power sports equipment made. Our area has at least one major incident with snowmobiles every year. This year we have already had two, a fatality and a serious injury. Separate instances on the same day. I also know a guy that was nearly killed on a snowmobile. I realize you can be maimed getting out of bed in the morning, but snowmobiles seem to have a disproportion of serious issues around here. I think the biggest issue with them in my area is there are still a lot of old hedgerow fences.

Haha that?s what they look like lol The newer ones are a little different now. The design of most of the new sleds remind me of the cartoon Tasmanian devil

(quoted from post at 10:24:28 12/24/19) Most dangerous piece of power sports equipment made. Our area has at least one major incident with snowmobiles every year. This year we have already had two, a fatality and a serious injury. Separate instances on the same day. I also know a guy that was nearly killed on a snowmobile. I realize you can be maimed getting out of bed in the morning, but snowmobiles seem to have a disproportion of serious issues around here. I think the biggest issue with them in my area is there are still a lot of old hedgerow fences.

The only dangerous thing about them is the clowns with their hands on the handle bars.

Operating one properly and sensibly is the key. Kinda like a gun.

(quoted from post at 05:54:28 12/24/19) Most dangerous piece of power sports equipment made. Our area has at least one major incident with snowmobiles every year. This year we have already had two, a fatality and a serious injury. Separate instances on the same day. I also know a guy that was nearly killed on a snowmobile. I realize you can be maimed getting out of bed in the morning, but snowmobiles seem to have a disproportion of serious issues around here. I think the biggest issue with them in my area is there are still a lot of old hedgerow fences.

Sprint, here in NH there are some fairly bad wrecks and some serious injuries every year. The state is very proactive in enforcing a 45 MPH speed limit, and yes, a fairly good proportion of the wrecks are young guys, and frequently alcohol is involved. I always read the stories in the papers about the wrecks and especially the cause as given by the State Fish and Game which is the enforcement agency. From first hand knowledge I can see that the F&G enforcement people have a set policy of what causes the wrecks, so they write their investigative reports to support their policy. The guys that are targeted for enforcement are those who are riding at over 55 MPH on trails where one can see for a mile ahead and are smooth and wide. Their sleds are almost always set up for high stability and excellent cornering. The majority of the injuries from the reports that I read are middle aged people who don't ride much and run off the trail in a corner in the afternoon, in an area where daily traffic is high. The reason for the loss of control is a combination of lack of experience, ice on the trail and lack of traction devices. These people go out and ride 40-80 miles and then head back to the trail head in the afternoon. By the time they get back into the more congested areas the trails that had good hard snow in the AM are now slick ice in the corners. With inadequate runners they are very challenged to keep the sled on the trail even at speeds well under the limit. I have written to the F&G to urge them to at least advertise that runners are needed, just as tread is needed on the tires of cars, but they have no interest in that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back