Grinding cow chow with a Gehl 95

Hi all
I recently bought a Gehl 95 mixer grinder only one screen came with it and the holes are pretty small my question is what hole size screen do I use to grind cow feed
I want to grind hay and cob corn also what rpm is best
Thanks for any help

1/2-3/4" or even bigger. As for RPM? Wide open. Or...the PTO speed line on a newer tractor that has a tach and PTO speed line.
AaronSEIA

I use a half inch for ear corn, but it would be awful slow going for hay. Why do you want to grind hay in to the feed anyway? You
feed hay some other way don't you? What's the sense taking up space in the grain?

For ear corn 1/2 to 5/8 to 3/4inch. It depends on the hammer mills characteristics. There is a kind of a magic size the kernels should be when fed but that perfect size is hard to achieve. Cattle do not like mealy fine feed but if the kernels are too big after going through the grinder too much of the corn will pass through the cow undigested. The commercial grinder mounted on a truck that used to come grind our ear corn used a 3/4 inch screen that sized the ear corn about right. Our Arts Way did a good job with a 3/4 screen. Wear ear protection. I never did when I spent hours and hours grinding feed and now my ears ring 24-7.

We have a Ghel 95, we took one of the smaller screens and cut between some of the holes to end up with 3/4-1" holes.
We grind ear corn and hay for cow feed.
Don't have a photo of the screen but could take one later.
mvphoto71178.jpg

I grind using a NH358 behind a JD3020. It came with a 1/2" screen. It did ok with ear corn but I thought the cob pieces were a bit big. I found a 3/8 screen and like it better. Sometimes it acts too small, sometimes too big. So it's a good middle ground. If I was grinding hay I'd go with a 1" or bigger.

I run my Harvey Mfg hammermill at wide open RPM, and still have to slow-feed shelled corn a 5 gallon bucket at a time. If doing ear corn,
we throw a double handfull and let the mill catch up.

Unplugging this thing when things go wrong is time consuming by hand. A shop vac with long snout is the fastest way to un plug

Screen that is in place has 1 1/2" holes. I get most of the grind what I think is proper, plus about 1/8 to 1/16 powder as fine as Jiffy
cornbread mix, and on the other extreme, about 1/8 to 1/16 small yellow granules. I do see some of these granules in the caca-vashe.

The spare screen inside the unit has 1/2" holes. May be too fine an extreme to change to. Wish I had about at 3/4" screen, inbetween the
two.
cvphoto81026.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back