Harbor Freight Sand Blaster

mac15b

New User
I know, Harbor Freight tools can be a 50/50 sometimes, but it's what I have!! I have the HF sand blast tank, (red, upright, on two wheels, looks like a compressor) but can't get it to pull media through the hose. Air comes out, nothing is clogged. I had been using glass beads... is that too fine to be using? I'm just trying to get some paint off of an 8N Ford to do a repaint. Any thoughts?

I have one of those too. Works fine for me, but the opening in the tip is too small for the sand the local place handles. Just one tiny grain that is just slightly bigger than the hole stops it up. I'd check closely for that, and make sure the valve at the bottom of the tank is open. Since those are pressure fed, not vacuum like the cabinets they usually work fine. but the ceramic tips do were quickly, causing it to use a lot of media.

I added a manual ball valve to the bottom of the tank, just above the mixer valve and hose connection to regulate the amount of media that flows downward into the hose. In my experience, the combination of pressure and gravity fed sand or beads will overwhelm this mixing point and clog it until the air cannot syphon it into the blast stream. With the added valve, I can limit this media flow and the blaster works far better and much more efficient. When shutting off the blaster, I shut this valve off first to clear out the line of remaining sand and when I restart, I slowly open it as I blast until I get a good flow without any surging.

Not common knowledge:

Bead blasting leaves a coating of silica on the metal surface.

...This coating needs to be removed with a solvent (such as lacquer thinner) to promote paint adhesion.

A lot of things can stop up a sandblaster. If you have too much water in your air that could do it. If you are re-using your media it can get trash in it and stop up the works. I always have to sift media before putting it in a pot. If your air pressure drops while you are working that too can shut it down. I don't have a compressor anymore which is capable to keeping up with a sandblaster.

(quoted from post at 07:57:20 04/15/22) Not common knowledge:

Bead blasting leaves a coating of silica on the metal surface.

...This coating needs to be removed with a solvent (such as lacquer thinner) to promote paint adhesion.

You are right. I searched four different ways and could find nothing about such a coating.

Damp air makes wet sand which can and will plug up the valve. You may need to take the hoses off the bottom to clear it. They are nice little shop blasters, don't need a monster compressor and hold enough to get something done.
No matter what you use for media it's best to screen it before use. Best media is aluminum oxide if you can get it. It's sharp and doesn't shatter on impact so can be reused a number of times when mixed with fresh media. Black Blast (coal slag) works good but breaks up easy. It is easy to get tho.

I have one of those and it never worked to suit me. Besides you read about lung cancer and blasting material it makes you think twice about using one,

(quoted from post at 23:20:31 04/16/22) I have one of those and it never worked to suit me. Besides you read about lung cancer and blasting material it makes you think twice about using one,

Silica sand is a great big no no. Silicosis is a real thing so as tempting as using cheap beach sand is, don't. No matter what you use you should wear a respirator. A positive pressure fresh air hood is best but pricey.

(quoted from post at 15:03:52 04/18/22) Absolutely, I'd never use regular sand! Thoughts on Walnut shells?

Walnut shells are ok for paint removal as are crushed buttons but won't remove any rust and take a long time to get anything done (also about as dusty as you can get).

(quoted from post at 07:03:52 04/18/22) Absolutely, I'd never use regular sand! Thoughts on Walnut shells?

I have used only Black Beauty. That is all I have ever seen anyone use.

Been using shredded corn cobs in mine. Creates a really nice surface that paint grabs onto well. 800 three point hitch I used it on , turned out great.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back