Help identify this hay rake.

56Utility

Hi, (UPDATED)
On my property there are some old farm implements that were used back in the day by my grandfather. He purchased the land in the 40's. There is a New Idea loose hay loader with a tag attached that says Lot Number L100. Does anyone know how old this model would be? There is also a hay rake but I cannot find any tags on it. Please look at the photos and maybe someone will recognize the make or model of the hay rake. The hay rake looks like it had a wooden tongue of that helps.
Thanks, Tim

mvphoto90585.jpg

mvphoto90586.jpg

mvphoto90587.jpg

mvphoto90588.jpg

This post was edited by 56Utility on 04/15/2022 at 10:20 am.

I would say its the same as the hay loader. New Idea. Had one at home with open gears like that. It had short tounge for tractor. Where ever we pulled it it left dimples in blacktop from nubs on wheels.

hay loader sure does look like a NI. sure would like a close up of the gears on front of rake. if it has lever hooked to shift both ways so
it could rake and tedder, its a NI. if not, my vote is early 3bar DAIN with single wheel option!!!

The small handle on front brace moved the rod to the gear box. Moving the handle would select rake or tedder rotation of
the bars.

I have a NI rake on steel and it way different than the one in the picture. Either the one in the picture is a lot older than mine and they changed them or its not a NI rake.

The picture with the rake covered in brush makes it so that cannot be told from there but that tail wheel on the rake says in is NOt a New Idea as New Idea never mounted a wheel like that. The hubs on drive wheel for both a hay loader in New Idea are the same. But on the picture of back end of rake eith tail wheel says it is NOT a NI, McC. JD, Dain , MH or MM as none of them ever had a round spot in the frame like that. I have either worked on rebuilding or just around the old rakes of ALL the models I mentioned. I had a Dain. made one rake out of several different model Deeres ans same with McCormick. I even put a MH real in a McCormick. I have handled over a hundres rakes some just delivering good rakes to completely rebuilding rakes for the Amish in my dealings with them. The Coop rake can be thought it is a New Idea 3 bar but is slightly different. The drive wheels for a New Idea hay loadwe look like the wheels fron a 3 bar, No. 4 & No. 44 New Idea. but the wheels for the hayloader are 44 in diameter while the rake wheel is 48 in diameter. The New Idea eake was first designed and built in southern ill by the Sandwhich company and bought out by New Idea in early 30's and I know where there is one and I got the parts for the owner to repair but he never did. In my time working with the Amish I have furnichrd them with plows, disks, cultipackers, cultimulchers, spring tooth harrows, grain drills, corn planters, field sprayers, Horse drawn mowers, Hay rakes, wagons and manure spreaders along with a corn binder and corn shreaders. I do have the parts books for JD, NI, McC. hay rakes some from in the 1890's

I finally had time today to go and take a better look at my hay rake. I found a Case IH logo cast into the tail wheel bracket. What model would this be?
mvphoto90751.jpg

mvphoto90752.jpg

J I Case and Ihc-International that built NcCormick at that time had no connection so what you are seeing as a Case IH logo id not what you are thinking. It is NOT a Case ot a McCotmick rake of any model I have ever seen. And it does not have a reverce gear for tedding. How many tooth bars does it have and what shape are the teeth made on and how do they mount,

New Ideased the same basic style on all rakes fron the first Sandwich thru the last nodel New Idea made. There was the Sandwich first that was a three bar and then the first New Idea were 3 bar as well, Then about 47 they started the No. 4 that was a 4 bar rake, then a 44 that was just a slight bit newer version of the No. 4 and could have had the levers on a tractor toung instead of having on the frame to reach from a seat for horses. Then there were 2 models of a low wheel rubber tire rake.

Thanks for the information, I searched the archives and I found an old post where someone else had a hay rake with what they believed to be the I H C logo on it...
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=implment&th=36726

One more question, would you happen to know what year a New Idea hay loader would have been made with a lot number of 100? I am more curious than anything of when these implements would have been used.

On the hay loader I have nothing on them to show age. But if you contact the Coldwater Ohio historical sociaty at Coldwater Ohio they have every thing that is still left from when the New idea Factory and all New Idea production was stopped. They had their 100th anivercity gathering a year after factory was closed and never reopened again as prommised at the 100th celebration. I lived 40 mile from factory. I don't know if a friend that worked in the office ever looked at all the information but he was told to take everything out to the dumpster and get rid of it but the dumpster turned out to be his car so only what he has or what the Historical soicity has is only information out there except what is in the hands of people like me. They picked up two pieces of machinery and took them to Coldwater for display during that celebration. As far as the rake it has to be from the late teens to early 30's to be designed like that. I would like to see pictures of the complete rake from all sides to try to figure out what you have. And in some areas of Amish country that hay loader if fairly complete would sell for around a thousand dollars yet to be put into condition to use. The rake very possibly is from a local factory that is not known to rest of the states.

The wheel hub for drive wheel looks familuar but as of now I just cannot remember what make it is. And at that time the rake was madethe IHC symble was not yet used on any thing, it would hace something like either McCormick or Deereing. as both companys later became part of International Harvestor.

(quoted from post at 14:39:39 04/10/22) Hi, (UPDATED)
On my property there are some old farm implements that were used back in the day by my grandfather. He purchased the land in the 40's. There is a New Idea loose hay loader with a tag attached that says Lot Number L100. Does anyone know how old this model would be? There is also a hay rake but I cannot find any tags on it. Please look at the photos and maybe someone will recognize the make or model of the hay rake. The hay rake looks like it had a wooden tongue of that helps.
Thanks, Tim
I have a NI loader just like it. I used it 2 yrs ago, summertime Okla. Liked ta killed me at 72 then
mvphoto90585.jpg

mvphoto90586.jpg

mvphoto90587.jpg

mvphoto90588.jpg

This post was edited by 56Utility on 04/15/2022 at 10:20 am.

(quoted from post at 14:00:34 04/16/22) The wheel hub for drive wheel looks familuar but as of now I just cannot remember what make it is. And at that time the rake was madethe IHC symble was not yet used on any thing, it would hace something like either McCormick or Deereing. as both companys later became part of International Harvestor.
I was able to move the hay rake out of the woods and I took a few more pictures. There are many casting numbers that all seem to start with R or RA. And the circular cast in "logo" is visible on most parts.
mvphoto90956.jpg

mvphoto90957.jpg

mvphoto90958.jpg

mvphoto90959.jpg

mvphoto90960.jpg

mvphoto90961.jpg

mvphoto90962.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back