home generators - propane

b79holmes

Well the search term 'generator' is completely useless on this site.

My son and a friend went to Pocono last month (I think) and the group nearby had a small propane generator made for camping. Inverter generators are in general much small than a household portable generator but some can be linked together.

I have an old Coleman gas portable but its a constant PIA to keep it running (i try to run it dry but sometimes have forgotten) and to start it so am thinking it's time to upgrade.
Say what you want about Sears but at least in it's prime you could trust their brands.

So a Google search bring up all these sites and brands and in another month it will bring up a whole different list.

Anyone have any experience with a smallish portable propane generator for emergency use?
There is a Champion at 4,500 watts and a Westinghouse at 3,700. I doubt the Westinghouse name means much anymore.

This is something I might use 24 hours every other year, but when you need it you want it to work.
Thanks,
Bill

My suggestion: use aviation gas in the equipment that you operate infrequently. Started using it in my old tractors a couple of years ago. Also used it in lawn mower and snow blower. Needed to mix some chain saw gas a couple of years ago, mixed up a gallon, used about 1/3 of it & forgot about it until I needed to use it a couple of weeks ago. Checked the tank, looked about half full. Three pulls & it was running. Used all in the tank, filled it from the can, no problems while was cutting up the the wind blown branches. Don't know when I'll need it again, but I don't expect an issue.

We bought a refurbished Champion 2800/3100 dual fuel, inverter with electric start a few years ago and have been very happy with it. We ran it non-stop for about 5 days during the last ice storm. It averaged about 1 lb of propane per hour and powered pretty much everything in the house. It was only about $400 when we bought it.

A few of our friends have also bought them for camping and to run coolers at farmers markets. The engines are Honda-knock offs, so parts are readily available. The electronics are also very reliable.

This is the link to the store we bought it from. They have an agreement with Costco to buy their returns. This is the source of the refurbished units. Most of them are returned with little or no use and are essentially brand new machines.

Good luck!
Super Gen Products

We too have an older Coleman generator, and when it was a couple of years old it started giving problems, so I cleaned the carb. Ever since, when we are done using it I dump out the E-10 gas, and put in a little 50-1 chains saw gas, run it a little, and run it out. It's been reliable for 10 years now. 3 years ago we needed it for 31 hours, after a wind storm, but normally I run it twice a year for 20 minutes, and put it away again.

I have the gas version of that Champion. Only problem in 3 years is that it is due for a new starting battery. I cant really fault the original as it got left on and drained flat a couple times. Still starts just fine with the rope, and the battery will start it after running a while. I will put in a new battery next spring.

So my experience with the Champion counts as good.

I have the small 4500 Champion but wish I had gotten the 6000. The 4500 is marginal when starting a 220 water pump. Problem with propane is that you have 2 fuels to worry about.

If the grid goes down, the only fuel available will be what you have in the garage.

I just got my second Champion. The first is 3650 running watts. The new one is 4000 running watts. I did not go propane as it is a rather limited option for us. I was concerned about the digital indicator as I liked the old one's moving coil meter, but I have changed my mine. The digital one is less fragile than the meter and it reads volts, frequency, and hours usage. If the meter breaks on either one it does not matter as long as the generator still works.

Both of these will run 240, but I am not sure about an inductive surge load like a well pump. I like these because I can pick them up and put them in a pickup bed. The heavier ones are a bit problematic without a wheel kit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back