Homemade Brake Bleeder Set-up?

So I though master cylinder was shot on this 1977 International Loadstar 1700 so I replaced and still same symptoms: press brake pedal 1st time it sinks to the floor. Then on 2nd through 4th pumps it stops 1/2 way down. Then if you wait 1 minutes the same thing happens. Pedal goes to floor yet on following pumps 1/2 way down. I have replaced slave cylinder and service the wheel cylinders that were leaking on front and rear drivers side of truck. I been told I need to pressure bleed brakes to get rid of trapped air that may be causing the the pedal to sink to floor. Im thinking of applying 15 psi to top of master cylinder with air hose yet it seems these pressure bleeders have a remote pump that contains brake fluid that you pressurize to master cylinder. Anyone here made a pressure bleeder set up?

Ive researched tge pressure bleeders you buy put 15 psi to
Master cylinder and then you go crack one bleeder screw at a time, longest line first. Ive usually just succeeded at bleeeding brakes with a buddy pumping brake pedal on 1/2-1 ton pickups suvs yet this big truck has been a royal pain!! Any suggestions greatly appreciated. With buddy holding pressure on brake pedal, I have noticed the rear bleeders the fluid just flows out really slowly (RR even slower than LR) yet front brakes fluid jets out like really fast and quick.

I researched all the brake shoes need to be adjusted so drums just drag a bit. I know if drum brakes get worn down yoyr brake pedal moves further down as wheel cylinders have to travel further. I know drivers rear drum is dragging too much. Ill check other 3 wheels.

I been reading reviews on pressure bleeders and looking at homemade pressure bleeders made from insecticide sprayers. Anyone here suggest a brand of pressure bleeder that has worked well on big trucks with slave cylinder under truck? With my experience building a pressure bleeder using an insecticide sprayer with a pressure gauge i stalled should do the trick. I can drill and tap a hole for fitting in old master cylinder cap. I see brand name pressure bleeders from $100-500+ CAD on Amazon dot ca yet I will check local autopart stores today. With two wheel cylinders per wheel on this truck is seems conceivable the first pump to floor may be pressurizing an air bubble at a cylinder and then bect pumps brake pedal feels right.

(reply to post at 17:10:06 01/23/21) [/quot

Cariboo, I worked for UPS for 25 years and did a couple of brake jobs each week. I would fill the M-cyl with fluid and open the bleeder that is farthest away, then I would put away tools , clean up ,etc, and check bleeder every so often , when fluid appeared to drip steady I would close that bleeder and go to the next closer one, and continue clean up. Just work your way back to the M-cyl. Take your time and let gravity do its work. I probably did over 1,300 brake jobs in my 25 year career and never once used a power bleeder!!!!!,,,,,Ed

(quoted from post at 07:36:10 01/26/21)
(reply to post at 17:10:06 01/23/21) [/quot

Cariboo, I worked for UPS for 25 years and did a couple of brake jobs each week. I would fill the M-cyl with fluid and open the bleeder that is farthest away, then I would put away tools , clean up ,etc, and check bleeder every so often , when fluid appeared to drip steady I would close that bleeder and go to the next closer one, and continue clean up. Just work your way back to the M-cyl. Take your time and let gravity do its work. I probably did over 1,300 brake jobs in my 25 year career and never once used a power bleeder!!!!!,,,,,Ed

Thank you Ed. I appreciate four reply and knowledge.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back