Tony in SD
Well-known Member
I have a used well I’d be more than happy to sell or rent to you.
I could use one one if you pay the shipping. USPS would have it end up in the dead letter office so skip them.I have a used well I’d be more than happy to sell or rent to you.
I'm in the Finger Lakes region of NY and in 2008 I had a 50 ft well drilled and it cost 1,800 dollars. With the lack of competition and inflation it would not surprise me that it would cost double that or more today.prices are crazy high here now. last year was $125 a ft. Talked to a neighbor who just paid $150 a ft.
I need to go 400 ft!
I worked my way through college buying old basements and sawing them up into 10x10 square post holes. The were just the right size for RR ties.I could use one one if you pay the shipping. USPS would have it end up in the dead letter office so skip them.
Edit. I could also use a couple dozen fence post holes if you could throw them in cheap. Save me some manual labor digging them.
Do you have electricity, internet and other utilities? It might be worth talking to an appraiser or realtor to get an idea of the demand for and the potential value of the property before investing any more money. Every market is different. In the Midwest an older home or obsolete farmstead not on a paved road is a liability rather than an asset.What neighbor?lol. im out in the boonies. No neighbors, no sirens etc
Yes. The internet is iffy. Its provided by a small podunk company and is always dropping. The only tower we can hit is 20+ miles away so the signal is weak. Add in that every time a train passes it blocks the signal and the internet drops.Do you have electricity, internet and other utilities? It might be worth talking to an appraiser or realtor to get an idea of the demand for and the potential value of the property before investing any more money. Every market is different. In the Midwest an older home or obsolete farmstead not on a paved road is a liability rather than an asset.
Realtors often know a number of active buyers who are looking for certain properties. Many people looking for remote properties can easily afford to build a brand new house with a well, septic system and utility connections.
I sit on a granite shelf that, under me, is about 80 feet down. They used a diamond bit drill and the total cost of pipe, drilling, digging, hydro fracing, A O Smith 240v pump installed was $46 per foot. They said they could drill through 30 feet of granite per hour with that diamond drill. This particular well driller is known for being pricey but they are the best around. Nice fancy bright red trucks, too.prices are crazy high here now. last year was $125 a ft. Talked to a neighbor who just paid $150 a ft.
I need to go 400 ft!
Was it purchased by your parents as their primary residence? If so you grew up there? What was your father’s occupation being this is such a remote area, what is your occupation? You have to travel that road 4/5 times a week x2 directions just for work? Who provides the funding to maintain the road, roughly how many residents utilize it?My parents bought it in 1974. I inhearated it in 2017 when they passed. We had to pull $60k in equidy out to do repairs and dispose of the asbestos siding. Well quit 01-01-23. Since then the water table came up some so we put another pump down to the dirt,pulled it up 2ft and its been working but the water table is slowly dropping again and I expect it to quit pumping in a few weeks.
I cant afford a mortgage and a well payment of the same amount. Without a well here it’s not worth much more than vacant land. Maybe $50 k but thats what I owe.
yes our only house. Dad worked in los angelas at a radio station and commuted. Yes that is the only road in and out. Im currantly working at a shop that specializes in euro cars. I also have a class A cdl. The road is private property and maintained by the residents. There are side roads so many people use the road but only I use the last 1/4 mile or soWas it purchased by your parents as their primary residence? If so you grew up there? What was your father’s occupation being this is such a remote area, what is your occupation? You have to travel that road 4/5 times a week x2 directions just for work? Who provides the funding to maintain the road, roughly how many residents utilize it?
Sounds to me like you need to get into a PM with “Check Break” and explore his options. Also not sure what JAN is talking about when he says “3m liner” he mentions in reply 56. I found a website that had what looks correct, it is a casing, they had them for sale but you had to log in and create an account to get more info. Did you get a video from the previous “rescue” attempt? Wow sorry, this turned into a 1000 questions.![]()
Good road, no ditches!Here is a short video showing driving to the first sign of a paved street. As you can see I am the last house on the dirt road.
Driving a dirt road every day really tears up cars!
I have become a professional ball joint installer.
Don't need ditches when it doesn't rain...Good road, no ditches!
It's good to watch Pakastani Truck and similar on youtube now and then. It reminds you of how we get spoiled/lazy here wanting climate controlled shops with every fancy tool while they just git 'er done outside in the dirt with what they have available. Perhaps they get 15% fewer hours before the next rebuild vs. our sterile clean room shops, but they're running their trucks and tractors while we're fussing and stalling over not having the perfect workspace.I've watched them drill deep water wells in Pakistan. 3 poles set up as a tripod with a sheave hanging from it. A few feet above the ground would be another long pole on the horizontal with a fulcrum. Connect one end of the pole to the rope going in the hole while a guy works the other end up and down pounding the bit on the bottom.
It's the paint jobs they put on their trucks that was always interesting with the designs and stuff. Most of the rural roads were just a little wider than one lane. Everyone always played chicken flashing their headlights at each other to pull over. The trucks usually won. We had a joke for when they stopped at a gas station. Fill it up with gas and check the headlights.It's good to watch Pakastani Truck and similar on youtube now and then. It reminds you of how we get spoiled/lazy here wanting climate controlled shops with every fancy tool while they just git 'er done outside in the dirt with what they have available. Perhaps they get 15% fewer hours before the next rebuild vs. our sterile clean room shops, but they're running their trucks and tractors while we're fussing and stalling over not having the perfect workspace.
We're not going to have to send the high school kids to third world countries to learn work ethics...the third world countries are coming here.It's the paint jobs they put on their trucks that was always interesting with the designs and stuff. Most of the rural roads were just a little wider than one lane. Everyone always played chicken flashing their headlights at each other to pull over. The trucks usually won. We had a joke for when they stopped at a gas station. Fill it up with gas and check the headlights.
First flew into Karachi, what I called the armpit of the world, in 1980. They were building something next to the airport hotel and digging the basement. Guys in their robes using short handle adze's to dig and loaded the dirt onto the backs of donkeys to haul it out. They moved a lot of dirt very fast bent over on their knees swinging the adze with 2 hands. Watched one dig a drainage ditch very fast next to the rig camp. Probably 4 or 5 times faster than an expat like me with a shovel.
Came across a road repair over a canal culvert. Piles of various sized rocks. Guys were placing the big ones, 8 inch +, down by hand as the base. Then filling in by hand with the next couple sizes and packed it. Quite an operation and fast.
Plenty of hard working guys doing hard, manual labor and probably no unemployment. Don't know what it is like 44 years later but if we sent all of our high school graduates over there to survive on their own for a year then maybe they will learn a work ethic.
Last winter my well went bad. Well guy pulled it twice to determine it is shot.prices are crazy high here now. last year was $125 a ft. Talked to a neighbor who just paid $150 a ft.
I need to go 400 ft!
I can see why you are attached to the place and want to stay. Hang in there, don't panic, and keep searching for a workable option. $60K will haul a lot of water for as long as you want to remain there.Yes. The internet is iffy. Its provided by a small podunk company and is always dropping. The only tower we can hit is 20+ miles away so the signal is weak. Add in that every time a train passes it blocks the signal and the internet drops.
putting the reciever antenna on a pole didnt help as it needs to be higher than I can do.
Power was brought in 1960.
House appraised @$170k 5 years ago.
I really like the place and dont want to have to move but I cant afford the new well.
Ya I have already talked with the county. My old well was built before they started to require a "seal" which is a cement slab at the top. I cant pull a permit to deepen it. I must drill new.I can see why you are attached to the place and want to stay. Hang in there, don't panic, and keep searching for a workable option. $60K will haul a lot of water for as long as you want to remain there.
Try talking with the county or whoever approves the permits in your area. They can provide you copies of the local laws on wells and tell you the approved repair options available to you better than you will get at the tavern, at church or here on the internet. The county also has access to who is actually drilling the new wells in your area, those drillers probably have the most reasonable prices too.
Everyone like to complain about laws we don't understand or agree with, but some laws are there to protect the neighbors and the taxpayers. A poorly constructed well can contaminate the water supply for a lot more people than just the well owner.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy