How to cultivate a garden?

dsebens

So I ve got a small garden made up this year with a pony tiller. It was a huge amount of work mainly because it was sod before that but even still I had a hard hard time breaking the clods up.

I ve got a Ford 3000 3 cyl. What would be the most reasonable way to use the tractor to do this? 3pt tiller? I feel like if I plowed it then I would have to disk it then I would have to harrow it. Is that correct? At that point I think it would be cheaper for a used tiller instead of 3 implements.

Is my thoughts correct?

It has taken me about 10 yrs to get a decent garden bed, and even then it usually takes about 3-4 passes with the tiller to get everything broken up in Houston's heavy clay. A lot different than my dad's sandy loam in Nebraska
Couple of tips:
1. Lots of organic material, I use grass clippings for mulch and then spread mulched leaves on it the fall.
2. If it is real heavy soil you might consider bring in some sand or topsoil to mix in. That is what I had to do.
3. It needs to be just the right moisture to till. If it is too wet, it just is a sticky mess (especially with clay) and too dry and you just moved the clods around and not break them up.

You need some type of implement to rip the ground ideally 8 to 12 inches deep,once its torn up it'd be real easy for a tiller to break down the sod.Also growing or adding all the organic matter you can will loosen up the ground.Plant a cover crop in the Fall and till it in the Spring will do a lot to make your garden better.The problem with a moldboard plow is if your topsoil is thin you'll be turning the good soil under bringing the subsoil to the top.

I've put in a few gardens from sod. I always moldboard plowed them then after drying I would use a 6 foot tiller with two passes. After that I could plant directly. Your soil type and condition will dictate what works best for you. Good Luck with it!

The first time is by far the hardest. It won t be so bad next time. A 3pt tiller really is the best way, but probably overkill for one small garden. Try to till it this fall, I bet you have no issues next spring. Once you get a garden established, its easy to keep up with a normal tiller. Very few people plow their gardens or use a 3pt tiller.

I have a 1.5 acre garden. When I started it from pasture I found it best to moldboard plow it. Borrowed a two bottom and a tractor to pull it. Plowed it in the fall, then let it
set and dry out. Spring came and I rototilled it with a Horse troy bilt for the early stuff like kale and brussel sprouts. Sweetcorn and peas do better with a plow then disked
ground so I did the rest with a light disk. I alternate moldboard every other year. I at least disk it or rototill it every year.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back