How to move wheels in on 1950 A

They're actually 3/4 rods. I think 5/8 was a typo. Anyway, regardless of how much force they can apply it still will not move. I've heated it several times with a rosebud and used chisels as wedges in the slots. I haven't been able to get the rim off the center either. I first tried that but with the oversize tires it still may not be enough room to get past the end of the pulley.
Hmmm.... Well, with 3/4" rods (assuming they are at least Grade 5 equivalent), you can torque each of the three to around 320 ft-lb that will yield a tensile force of 25,500 lb, so the total for all three would be 76,500 lb or 38-1/4 tons. That's a lot of force. Yours must be really rusted solid....

Hmmm.... Well, with 3/4" rods (assuming they are at least Grade 5 equivalent), you can torque each of the three to around 320 ft-lb that will yield a tensile force of 25,500 lb, so the total for all three would be 76,500 lb or 38-1/4 tons. That's a lot of force. Yours must be really rusted solid....
I know. FIL had this tractor and it was only left in the weather occasionally for a few days if he was plowing away from home. I helped him put the rims back on when he got the new Armstrongs back around 1990. I got the hubs loose on my H with no problem, I didn't expect this much with the A. I used the 3/4 x 18 Gr.5 bolts from the float springs on my MoCo with Gr.8 nuts and washer, greased.

They're actually 3/4 rods. I think 5/8 was a typo. Anyway, regardless of how much force they can apply it still will not move. I've heated it several times with a rosebud and used chisels as wedges in the slots. I haven't been able to get the rim off the center either. I first tried that but with the oversize tires it still may not be enough room to get past the end of the pulley.
Yes that was my mistake I thought they were 5/8. They are 3/4. I was lucky and mine came loose pretty easy.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back