Hydraulic cylinder on bush hog loader question

Copotay

New User
I have a Ford 1720 tractor with a 2245q bush hog front end loader. One of the hydraulic cylinders is leaking pretty bad. I have repacked several cylinders before but have never seen one like this that has that retaining ring that has to be removed. It appears that there are no threads on the gland part and saw some guy on YouTube with similar cylinder that beat it out and pulled out that ring with a hammer and vice grips, then the cover or gland just slips off, of course there has to be a better way but I am not aware of how to. Any help is greatly appreciated and I will try to include a picture. From what I read Bush Hog used 3 different type cylinders on this model loader and of course I have one of the more difficult ones to repair.
mvphoto108702.png

Ok thanks so it appears just turning the gland will remove
retaining ring even though gland is not threaded

I rebuild 4 of those Bush Hog Cylinders last week. I had to machine one new packing gland from Aluminum. Tore the old one all to
pieces getting it out. The bent end was broken off the retaining wire and couldn't get hold of it to turn it out. They can be a bear
sometimes.

My Bradco backhoe has that type of gland retainer, I try to give each wire a little spray of lube every time Im greasing the loader and hoe, over the past 20 years Ive found its much easier to get the wire out and it seldom is rusted and breaks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back