I don't know what to do with this battery pack

WI Dan

I was using this battery pack and it suddenly died. I tried charging it, but the charger shows an error message and won't go.
I put multimeter on terminals and shows nothing.
I opened it up, but only got more confused. Anybody want it for experimental adventures? ...looking at you George.....
I hate to pay to dispose of it.

Attachments

• 20240128_130640.jpg
    20240128_130640.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240128_130652.jpg
    20240128_130652.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240128_130730.jpg
    20240128_130730.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240128_130747.jpg
    20240128_130747.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 34
Batteries are made to stop your tool before they are totally depleted. Could the corrosion affected this , maybe. There is spray cleaner for the corrosion and a way to put a small charge in the battery so the charger will recognize it. Got the way to do it from YouTube for my brand.

I was using this battery pack and it suddenly died. I tried charging it, but the charger shows an error message and won't go.
I opened it up, but only got more confused. Anybody want it for experimental adventures? ...looking at you George.....
No thanks,
I take mine to battery Plus, free disposal.

Measure voltage between the silver colored plate (under the red wire in the image) with the negative lead on the other post. if there is voltage there, the corrosion may be an actual break. If that works, I would solder the red wire directly to that plate (good heat, clean and resin core solder. Jim

Should be relatively easy to find a place that accept any batteries for recycling. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any legal disposal place that has any cost for disposal.

Should be relatively easy to find a place that accept any batteries for recycling. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any legal disposal place that has any cost for disposal.
I recently took an LI mobility battery to Pacific Power Battery(because they normally pay or do not charge) and got charged a ten dollar disposal fee. Glad I gave the other one to the motorcycle shop down the street!!

I recently took an LI mobility battery to Pacific Power Battery(because they normally pay or do not charge) and got charged a ten dollar disposal fee. Glad I gave the other one to the motorcycle shop down the street!!
Well, THANKFULLY you did the responsible thing and and your tiny little battery didn't accidentally fall into your household garbage and get buried in a landfill with a billion tons of Lord knows what!

A HERO you are!

I would think that the corrosion was caused be a leaking cell.

How old is it? I think they have a 2 yr warranty according to this thread: https://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/2640-dc9181-failure/

The old NiMH ones could be rebuilt by soldering up a bunch of new sub C cells with solder tabs. I have done a few NiMH but it wasn't really worth it because it doesn't cost a lot more to have them rebuilt and it is a bit of work. I have not looked into rebuilding a Li pack, but it should be possible. It is just a bunch of cells welded together in series with some electronics in the loop. The Li cells may be more complicated for a DIY, but someone who does it as a service won't have a problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back