I think a walker is a tool

Good afternoon: I have a walker that was prescribed for me in about the year 2009. I want to install better wheels on the front legs, as the existing wheels are too small. I have not found a supplier of parts for my (GUARDIAN) brand walker. Any help or advice appreciated!
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I used a walker for a while & I think the center bore of the wheels was 5/16. If you check the size of yours there are lots of wheels available from places like
Amazon that don't have to be made for your particular brand. You might have to get creative with new bolts for the axles, etc. Some of the heavy duty walkers
have a pair of wheels on each leg, one on each side of the leg which better balances the load on the leg.

Rollerblade wheels use bearings with a 5/16 (8mm) bore. You can get 94mm wheels. Amazon has Z-first 100mm (almost 4"diameter) wheels for $10. Heck, you can even get lightup ones!

You might look at McMaster Carr's on line catalog. They have everything including an assortment of wheels.

Have we not evolved beyond thinking that we have to come up with a contrived reason to make a question "on topic?"

As long as the question is reasonable and the discussion kept respectful, there is no problem.

I'm thinking, though, that you don't want the wheels to be too good, or the walker might roll away from you.

Is it one of those cheap bare-aluminum-framed walkers with the garbage plastic wheels on the front and the tennis balls on the rear legs?

Consider getting one of the four-wheeled walkers with the built-in chair. They have good wheels and brakes. I've got a brand new one here that Mom bought in anticipation of needing it but never used even when she needed it because it made her feel old, LOL. If you're here in Western New York you can have it. It's just been hanging in the garage since she passed almost two years ago.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 06/07/2023 at 06:02 am.

A walker IS a tool. I was at the local Farm & Fleet when I saw a pickup
truck. The box was half full with a floor jack, tools, various wood
blocks, a few other field repair items, and a walker thrown on top. That
guy was prepared for anything!

(reply to post at 18:39:12 06/06/23)
ttps://guardian.healthcaresupplypros.com/buy/guardian-walking-aids/guardian-walkers/guardian-walker-accessories/front-wheel-attachments[/url]

If yours has the 3 inch wheels set into the tube, you will have to do some modifications.
Are you wanting taller wheels or wider wheels?

Back My mother was about 95 and 'wobbly', I took her a walker. Said, scowled and said, Those are for old people. She lived to 100 yrs & 10 months. Still got around without that walker..

After my knee surgery the wife got me a cammo walker. I told her I liked using it because when I did I was
invisible.
The only problem being as it is invisible, it made it hard to find.

Good afternoon: Again, replying to my own original post, I visited a yard sale yesterday that happened to have several estate sale collections. I found one walker similar to mine, and it featured the larger (5 inch) front wheels that I was looking for. The walker was priced low, because it had a slightly bent piece in the frame, but the wheel assemblies are fine. Needless to say, I bought it! Thanks for comments!
D. Martin in W. Tenn.

Now that you have your original problem
solved, I don't have to feel bad about a
wise-guy comment:

No, Walker is a Texas Ranger.

Good evening: I installed the front tubes with the 5 inch wheels in place of my original smaller front wheels. Spent about an hour waking around our local indoor mall, seems pretty good. Wheels never gave any problem. Now I just need to practice the proper method of walking that will strengthen my legs! Thanks for all comments!
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I'm a member of AA. Amazon Anonymous.
You can get anything you want from Amazon.
There are many pages of walker wheels

5 Walker Wheels Replacement Kit, Universal
Replacement Wheel Kit for Walkers with Pair of
Walker Ski Glides, 5 Inch Wheels by Healthline
Trading

$15.35 ($15.35/Count)
cvphoto156308.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back