I want an F-20. Not a fixer, tell me what to look for

docmirror

Just like the subject line says. I'm looking for a runner, not a junker. I maintain a turf airport, and it will see simple duty, no farming. Mostly it will be part of the display I keep of vintage tractors. One of my rules is if it shows, it goes. So far I have an Allis, two Fords, one Case. I had a JD but it wouldn't stay running so I want an F-20 from Farmall, and will find some kind of early JD.

Common areas of concern? Stuff the experts will catch? Help is appreciated.

Unless you have a deck-over trailer, you'll be wanting to get a narrow rear end tractor. About 1 in 20 were narrow rear
ends. Also, it'll be helpful to have the 4 speed with the high 4th (road gear at about 10mph) unless you're happy topping
out at 3.5 mph. Watch your rear tire/wheel assemblies too. If they are cut down rims, the tire diameter may make the
tractor go a bit slower....or faster......than it did when on steel.

Rice Equipment is the go-to place for F-series parts.

I have just this tractor out in the barn.

Happy hunting !

(quoted from post at 18:07:43 01/02/23) Unless you have a deck-over trailer, you'll be wanting to get a narrow rear end tractor. About 1 in 20 were narrow rear
ends. Also, it'll be helpful to have the 4 speed with the high 4th (road gear at about 10mph) unless you're happy topping
out at 3.5 mph. Watch your rear tire/wheel assemblies too. If they are cut down rims, the tire diameter may make the
tractor go a bit slower....or faster......than it did when on steel.

Rice Equipment is the go-to place for F-series parts.

I have just this tractor out in the barn.

Happy hunting !

Great info to have Pete. I have a flat trailer that might be wide enough to get part of the rear tires on. I would have to measure that for each possible.

Do the rear wheels reverse? Can they be swapped wide for narrow? Road gear would be the 4th with a diff ratio. I wonder how common that is?

I do not know you from Adam except for a few post you
make on here. I realize you can do whatever you want,
but curious why you want an F20? You say you have a
couple Fords, so those tractors were made in the late
30s and after. I am just wondering why not a Farmall H
or M. Just way more common and easier to get parts
for than the the early F series. Much handier to do
useful jobs with them, but again you can do whatever
you want.

(quoted from post at 19:45:59 01/02/23) I do not know you from Adam except for a few post you
make on here. I realize you can do whatever you want,
but curious why you want an F20? You say you have a
couple Fords, so those tractors were made in the late
30s and after. I am just wondering why not a Farmall H
or M. Just way more common and easier to get parts
for than the the early F series. Much handier to do
useful jobs with them, but again you can do whatever
you want.

You're right, you don't know me. Why are you questioning what I want to spend my money on? Why do I have a Allis D grader and not a M100? I'm just here for pro advice on an F-20. If your advice is 'buy something else', I guess I will consider that.

Nice to see someone interested in the 1930s stuff. They
are a tough tractor. Most times its the exhaust manifolds
that are cracked on them. Or rad cores are rotten. Other
than that I like the 30s stuff as it was before the styled
ones came in in 39. Good old tractors.

There were more wheel options for the F-20
than for the later letter series. Maybe not
all at the same time during production, but
once you figure the options for the entire
production run, there were a number of
different wheels. You might as well figure
out right now what wheels you want, and buy
one with the wheels you want already on it.
Rubber or steel? If steel, do you want wide
or skeleton? If rubber, which style? Round
spoke made by F&H, or IHC factory 8 way
adjustable rears that IHC only put on in
late production? Might as well save some
grief, and decide now, and buy what you
want.
They also made a narrow tread version, and
a wide front version. Might decide that
right now too.
Not sure if you display your tractors in an
outside setting where you just keep your
tractors outside all of the time, but if
you do, an F-20 is not really quit as
suited for this as other slightly newer
tractors. No tractor really fares well
being stored outside, but rain and moisture
really don't agree with an F-20.
Most equipment for an F-20 was mounted. Not
just real handy to take on and off. You
might give this some thought before buying
one.
They are neat. I have one. And one with
some character is good for display. Mine is
not for sale though.
Runners are getting harder to find for
sale. If you buy one, it should hold its
value pretty good I would think. If you
keep it running that is. But if you buy a
running F-20, and let it just sit for 5
years, it probably won't be a runner. An F-
20 is definately not a good candidate for
that type of thing. Be best if started up
atleast once a month.

Unfortunately, I have planes in all sheltered spots, so yes, my tractors all live outside. But, I don't let them sit for years at a time. I would say like most people, I'm looking for a rubber narrow rear wheel combo. Easier to trailer, and no need for farming on hills, or slope.

This says narrow rear, but doesn't look that way to my untrained eye.

https://wheeling.craigslist.org/grd/d/adena-1937-farmall-20/7570904771.html

I don't know where you live but a friend of mine in WC Iowa just passed. He has/had an F-12, F-14 and an F-20 all in
restored condition less paint. And all with starters! I do not know what the plans are for his collection and tools but send me your address and I will stay in touch. E-mail is open. Thank you.

(quoted from post at 05:15:40 01/03/23) I don't know where you live but a friend of mine in WC Iowa just passed. He has/had an F-12, F-14 and an F-20 all in
restored condition less paint. And all with starters! I do not know what the plans are for his collection and tools but send me your address and I will stay in touch. E-mail is open. Thank you.

If it's for sale, just drop a note here. I'll get it in a day or so and we can possibly move forward.

looks to me like the narrow rear end. Think the go home box is the aftermarket road gear, though go
home is a new phrase to me.

My Regular has the standard wide rear end, and it will easily fit on a 96 wide trailer with drive over
fenders. The one in the ad looks narrower.

That looks like a Narrow to me but it has the shorter wider tires and rims that are more common to the wide tread F'20. Here are some pics of narrow tread 20s with the taller tires and the last pic is of a wide tread tractor. Note the length of the wide rear axle housing in the last picture and compare it to the one in the add. Also Narrow tread serial number will have an "N" suffix, If tag is missing the #should be stamped on the right frame toward the front and I think on the block.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/9/299-farmall-f-20-photos.html

This post was edited by Longknife on 01/08/2023 at 10:12 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back