Icelandic Horses and Tractors Video

RedMF40

This is a video I made from recent trips to Iceland. A little strange, yes, but only five minutes. If you don't like the music, best to turn down the volume and listen to something you enjoy. The band is one that became popular in Iceland in the past 15 years or so. Their music is strange even for some Icelanders. I lucked into the footage of horses being herded along the country roads. The farmers followed behind in their cars and let their animals lead the way.
Horses and Tractors in Iceland

(quoted from post at 16:40:02 02/15/19)
Do they just walk away from any piece of equipment that develops a problem and leave it sitting there?

It’s an interesting question but no—I don’t think the machines are left for dead. Except for the ones being cannibalized for parts, the tractors are for the most part waiting their turn to go under the wrench. If you see a Zetor, it’s likely part of a small operation or even hobby farm. The owner might have other things to deal with—like a regular job. Kind of like keeping an old IH or Farmall going here. It’s probably not a tractor being relied on to produce a lot of income. However, it would take very little effort to put some kind of cover on the rear window of the nice Komatsu dozer, which is probably a strong-running machine. Likewise, the Ford missing the rear tire looks like it’s been through the wars. Probably still runs, though.

All of the big operations use Case/NH or Fendts or some other higher-end tractor. Don’t think I’ve ever seen JD—might be too expensive to import, maybe not big enough market there. Tractors normally stay out in the weather—even the high-end machines. Don’t believe I’ve ever seen a tractor shed. Buildings seem to be reserved for the critters like sheep or dairy cows.

This may relate a little to your question, but in Iceland there is a tendency to kind of “leave things alone,” for lack of a better way to put it. For example, no one will do anything about a thick, icy buildup on the sidewalk or steps leading to a business. It’s not that it’s a never-ending battle—it would actually be easy enough to scrape away the ice and snow or throw some sand or salt on it. But it’s not an issue. If you slip and fall—which everyone does—well, you should have been more careful. Here, where a large segment of our economy is driven by lawsuits and every type of litigation, tolerating such conditions would be unheard of. I personally wear those cleats that strap onto regular street shoes or boots when navigating the icy streets and sidewalks.

So….long explanation—but maybe an old broken tractor is not such a big priority in Iceland—it will get fixed when someone gets to it.

(quoted from post at 21:35:24 02/15/19) Neat video. Really liked the horses at the end.

Thanks for watching ;-)
Couldn't have planned the moments with the horses if I'd tried LOL

SHinnery: those things look like Canada geese but they aren't. I don't remember seeing even one Canada Goose in Iceland. Lots of ducks and other sea-birds, but no geese. The things in the video are actually big pieces of metal and I used to know what they were, but now I don't. Big heavy things, solid steel if I recall. I'll try to find out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back