IH McCormick planter

Hobo,NC

I picked this planter up years ago I never used it as I have a Cole planter and a push planter. Its a fast hitch I assume a IHC. It came with two plates, the metal one marked Medium with 8 slots and the plastic about the same size seed slots with 16 slots. I know its seed spacing my question are the plates for corn.

Attachments

• IHC planter.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 108
  • planter plates.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
the 16 cell plate looks like one for medium flat corn seed. 8 cell plate is maybe for pumpkins?
I picked this planter up years ago I never used it as I have a Cole planter and a push planter. Its a fast hitch I assume a IHC. It came with two plates, the metal one marked Medium with 8 slots and the plastic about the same size seed slots with 16 slots. I know its seed spacing my question are the plates for corn.
20240428_145751.jpg
20240428_150219.jpg

The best I can tell, you have an IH 184 planter like we have. There are 2 different sizes of press wheels. One is 16 inch diameter and the other is 20 inch diameter. Most that I have seen for 1 row use is of the 20" diameter variety. The seed spacing is adjusted by several factors. The first one being the placement of the pinion gear pin under the hopper for the hopper gear ratio. There is 2 choices. The 12 to 40 ratio or the 10 to 20 ratio. The second thing is the chain sprocket combination on the hopper and the press wheel. Finally, the seed plate cell count will heavily regulate what it does. If you look at the bottom of the calibration chart in the 2nd picture, there is fine print to dictate what plate cell counts not listed in the actual chart will do. In some cases like with the 8 cell plate, it will cut the seeding population in half compared to the 16 cell plate. Both plates you have appear to be for corn use. I'd have to look to see what's in ours for sweet corn use.

Hello , my 2 cents my Dad and I had 2 model 56's ( I think ) it used the same type of plates as the plastic one ,we had about 2 dozen plates for them , everything from small rounds to large rounds , small flats to large flats plus 2 different size bean plates ,metal and plastic, you used to get your seed "sized" now most companies sell plateless corn. The seed corn sacks had a size marked on them and chart on the back of the bag to find the correct plate for the seed. I still run plate planters 2 694AN john deeres , the large seed companies still size the corn ,small rounds, medium flats ect , but the bags are not labeled for plates , I ask for all my corn to be from the same lot ( so the seeds are all the same , hopefully ) I have to open a bag, grab a dozen or so seeds , fit the seeds into the plate , one seed per cell , to big of a cell and you get 2 seeds per cell and it gets planted too thick, to small the seeds my stick in the plate .years ago the seed dealers would barrow plates to thier custumers if they didn't have the right ones. Best of luck Bryan

does this planter fit on a fast hitch 140 or ?????? Pictures would be nice
I am sure it works with the fast hitch on a 100,130,140.
View attachment 68894View attachment 68895
The best I can tell, you have an IH 184 planter like we have. There are 2 different sizes of press wheels. One is 16 inch diameter and the other is 20 inch diameter. Most that I have seen for 1 row use is of the 20" diameter variety. The seed spacing is adjusted by several factors. The first one being the placement of the pinion gear pin under the hopper for the hopper gear ratio. There is 2 choices. The 12 to 40 ratio or the 10 to 20 ratio. The second thing is the chain sprocket combination on the hopper and the press wheel. Finally, the seed plate cell count will heavily regulate what it does. If you look at the bottom of the calibration chart in the 2nd picture, there is fine print to dictate what plate cell counts not listed in the actual chart will do. In some cases like with the 8 cell plate, it will cut the seeding population in half compared to the 16 cell plate. Both plates you have appear to be for corn use. I'd have to look to see what's in ours for sweet corn use.

Thanks much when I get time I will get back to it, worst case I will just have to try it and see how it works. This will be for my own use 4 four 100 ft rows. Years ago I planted more and used the Cole planter it did ok. Neighbors are asking me to plant their corn for their use, I like doing it but pushing a planter gets old. The plates seam to be a little large for corn, can you still buy the plates ?

I am sure it works with the fast hitch on a 100,130,140.

Thanks much when I get time I will get back to it, worst case I will just have to try it and see how it works. This will be for my own use 4 four 100 ft rows. Years ago I planted more and used the Cole planter it did ok. Neighbors are asking me to plant their corn for their use, I like doing it but pushing a planter gets old. The plates seam to be a little large for corn, can you still buy the plates ?
We used to use Cole planters to plant the sweet corn and re-plant any missing rows behind the big planter in field corn. After buying this IH planter, the Cole planters have done nothing but collect dust under the shelter. I grew to detest them after using this planter. It's not perfect, but sure doesn't plant the doubles and triples like the Coles would do. Different plates are still available new and used. I probably have a plate that would work for you. Call or text me when you get ready for one and I'll do my best to help and get one to you, as there is an abundance of selections from over the years. 2 five 2, five 6 zero, zero 7 seven 9.

We used to use Cole planters to plant the sweet corn and re-plant any missing rows behind the big planter in field corn. After buying this IH planter, the Cole planters have done nothing but collect dust under the shelter. I grew to detest them after using this planter. It's not perfect, but sure doesn't plant the doubles and triples like the Coles would do. Different plates are still available new and used. I probably have a plate that would work for you. Call or text me when you get ready for one and I'll do my best to help and get one to you, as there is an abundance of selections from over the years. 2 five 2, five 6 zero, zero 7 seven 9.
I found a manual for it online and printed it off. Richard are Jim NC wanted it they may be out of luck. Jim has my number I sent you a conversation thru YT. Thanks much. I coach Ball some times 3 teams at a time and will be tied up till June, I am at a ball field every night and do some instructions from home. This time of year that eats my time up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back