Iowa Drought?

Texasmark

I was checking out rainfall amounts due to all the rain that we've had and came across a picture posted by "US Drought Monitor". It shows NE Iowa to have a couple of large severe drought areas.......for folks living in that area, it that true?

I was checking out rainfall amounts due to all the rain that we've had and came across a picture posted by "US Drought Monitor". It shows NE Iowa to have a couple of large severe drought areas.......for folks living in that area, it that true?
See the red area in central Tx......I guarantee it's TRUE.

Central Iowa south of I-80 was very dry last year and into the fall. Corn yields were still very good due to drought resistant hybrids and a few timely rains. We've gotten some good rain this spring, subsoil moisture must be up as the three tile lines that dump on me are all flowing, not a lot but water is flowing. More rain forecast this week so the drought monitor is correct for our area. Ofcourse it does not take many 90-100 degree days come summer to change everything. Wishing you well in the great state of Texas. gobble

Central Iowa south of I-80 was very dry last year and into the fall. Corn yields were still very good due to drought resistant hybrids and a few timely rains. We've gotten some good rain this spring, subsoil moisture must be up as the three tile lines that dump on me are all flowing, not a lot but water is flowing. More rain forecast this week so the drought monitor is correct for our area. Ofcourse it does not take many 90-100 degree days come summer to change everything. Wishing you well in the great state of Texas. gobble
Thank you sir. What has been happening here for the last few years has been soggy springs and then in the May-June time frame, mother nature shuts off the water. I have winter and summer crops....the winter is hard to get put up and the summer is hard to get started if you aren't lucky and catch about a dry week for winter and wet week for getting the summer kicked off. Nice thing about my Houston Clay is that it holds moisture for the summer crop and once going it does pretty well without a drop of water on it.

On Blackland clay soils and proper nutrition, I had an old neighbor who spent his time planting Blackeyed Peas and rolling the plants back into the soil for humus and nutrients. On one occasion, he planted his peas and called in the neighbors to hand pick their fill of pea pods and not one drop of rain had fallen on the crop from planting the peas to harvesting the pods. I was duly impressed.

We are in southeast Iowa and it is dry, especially for this time of year. My wife and I often walk our lane down to the river bottom. The other day I commented that there have been several years when the river topped the dike and flooded about 80 acres. We would have been in water about 6 feet over our heads. I think we could cross the river at about knee deep right now. South Skunk river by Oskaloosa.

The drought monitor maps are updated weekly and are pretty accurate.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap.aspx
I'm in the D2 area in eastern Nebraska. It was dry last year, and we haven't had that much moisture last winter or spring. Doesn't look too good. My wife is running the underground sprinklers on our lawn already.

Last year, a friend of mine who farms both irrigated and dryland said he only got about a half a crop off of the dry land.

We are in southeast Iowa and it is dry, especially for this time of year. My wife and I often walk our lane down to the river bottom. The other day I commented that there have been several years when the river topped the dike and flooded about 80 acres. We would have been in water about 6 feet over our heads. I think we could cross the river at about knee deep right now. South Skunk river by Oskaloosa.
Around here river bottom flooding really makes for some nice crops without having to buy fertilizer. Just have to watch things and play it by ear to catch the right time to make a crop. Hope you get some rain.....you can have some of mine.....we are several inches over our average here and more to come...about every weekend for the time being. Gotta hurry and get my hay put up.

Don't see any red areas in Kansas like you poor folks in Iowa have, but there are wheat fields in central Kansas turning brown.

It would be interesting to see if that all sorts itself out after this next weekends predicted showers we got some needed rain last weekend

It was dry for here the last couple years there were some timely rains in north Iowa and we haven’t had much snow so overall it’s probably a drought although the crops have had enough to get by it feels like there’s a better weather pattern going at the moment so time will tell what we are given.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back