JD 3020 diesel starts and dies.

uncle jake

New User
I purchased a JD 3020 1968 Diesel tractor at auction. After purchase, nephew of deceased owner said that although the tractor sat indoors for about a year after death, the auction house (a tractor dealer) cleaned and replaced the air system and filters and the fuel and filters. Tractor ran great for about 2 weeks for short periods of up to about an hours or 2. Then ran for 3 hours cutting brush a couple of days later. At about 3 hours, It powered down some like it was running out (not getting) fuel, then went back to normal for about 45 seconds and then died as if out of fuel. It continued to start right up and run for about 10 seconds and die as if out of fuel. Filled tank with red diesel as recommended, and only took 7 gallons indicating there was about 20+ gallons in tank. So gas gage was right on and not broken as we originally thought when thought ran low on fuel. Cracked lines open and found Fuel to transfer pump, and to fuel filters and to injector pump. Replaced fuel filters anyway, bled and started up but died in 10 seconds like before. Replaced transfer pump, bled and started up and ran about 30 seconds before powering down and died as before - like running out of fuel - as if there was a fuel shut off valve somewhere. Blew air thru the line into tank to clear any possible debre in lines or tank. Started right up for about 10 seconds and died agin. Drained gallon from tank and good looking red fuel with no visible dirt, water or gel. Started right up and died as before. Cleaned gas cap that looked ok and started but died again. Checked air cleaners and filters - all really clean. Cracked the injector lines on 2 injectors and turned engine over until fuel spurted out - tractor actually started but we turned it off and tightened. Did same thing for other 2 injectors. Tractor started right up but again powered down and died just like before. Thought maybe the pull out stop engine on the column throttle was doing something but shade tree mechanics say not likely. A friend talked with mechanic for State of MO who works on state tractors and he said there is a little flap that allow the injector pump to pump more fuel when powering up and if it breaks will allow tractor to start but stop fairly quickly as it blocks fuel from injector pump. I read of a one liner in this blog as this possibility for another person having a different problem (or symptom). I also read where certain fuel line fittings with a certain screw are suseptible to being blocked with crap in line, and when tractor dies, the back flow opens it up so will start next time until crap blocks again causing it to die. The lines however seem clear on this tractor especially when I use the manual handle on the transfer pump, and I don't see any odd fittings in the lines. Does anyone have experience with this problem? I don't want to have injector pump rebuilt until I ma sure that is the problem. Perhaps I should crack an injector line or 2 and let the tractor run until dies to see if the fuel stops to the injector. All ideas appreciated.
JD 3020

Sounds like the injection pump does need repair, you can confirm it this way. Loosen the two screw timing cover on the side of the pump, allowing fuel to leak out. Start the engine, if it runs fine WITH the fuel leak, but slows down and/or dies when the cover screws are tight then the pump needs repair. The retainer ring is breaking apart inside, causing the internal housing pressure to rise, shutting down the pump. Just repaired a JD 4010 pump with the same trouble..

ASSUMING this is a ROOSA Master "DB" pump,likely, the "governor damper ring" has disintegrated into little coffee grounds-like pieces and is clogging the housing pressure regulating valve, and a ROOSA IP doesn't deliver fuel when the housing pressure builds up.

If you can do this safely, as fuel will spill, loosen the little timing cover held to the IP with two flathead screws, and allow fuel to drain out, relieving housing pressure, then see if it will run, all the while drooling fuel.

If it now runs, IP needs to be rebuilt.

As a note, if the return line is crushed or damaged or clogged between the engine and the tank, the same thing will happen.

There's DOZENS of posts in the archives of the DEERE and Ford and other forms with the same governor ring fsilre iddue.

Is there here another small filter possibly getting plugged ? I worked on our cat 307 excavator today because of a similar issue. Turned out to be a small mesh filter on the transfer pump that was clogged solid with "microbial growth", some call it algae. Even if you ran it a while the tank could still be dirty.

I was having a similar problem once, on a two tank Ford 8240. I can't remember my thinking but I was suspicious of a loose line fitting. I went over all the fittings breaking them loose then tightening them. It worked. Quick and easy to eliminate a possible cause.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back