jD 4219 missing at idle

I have a 4219 one cylinder is missing. Starts hard when it’s cold even when it’s warm out it takes a sniff of either to get it goin.got some blow by out the calve cover vent. I replaced 4 injectors. Bad valve? Bad cylinder? Faulty injection pump? ( pump seen better days) . You can hear it at idle go through the cylinders one is missing not multiple. High idle u don’t hear it. When it warms up seems to run good accept for the miss at idle even kind of snappy. Previous owner wasn’t to mechanically enclined . when I bought it it was in an air compressor it’s in a Skidder now. I’m thinking burnt valve the previous opener had a bunch of either cans hanging around I figured he use to giver the juice when it was cold trying to get it to fire with bad batteries and burnt it that way.

Last edited:
Hello Harvey, welcome to YT! My thoughts are exactly as Leroy has said, from the results he described scored cylinder walls is usually another outcome. I have never heard of a valve burning from starting fluid. The engine is cold when SF is used, generally in my thinking a valve is usually extremely hot when it fails. How does it sound when you crank it with the fuel off? It should crank even with all 4 compression strokes loading the starter evenly. If a cylinder is down on compression the starter will speed during that 1/2 turn of the engine. Loosening the injector lines on each cylinder when at an idle can also tell you which cylinders are not doing their share. This is the equal off pulling a plug wire off a spark plug on a gas engine.

Used red mn beat me to it. It doesn’t do a whole lot really other than you will be able to verify which cylinder is the problem. And that you do have a dead miss at that particular one. Does the amount of fuel being delivered to each one look approximately the same. I’m betting there won’t be much delivered out of the one and it’s time to look at the pump especially if it was on an air compressor it probably had 2 speeds. WOT and off. If amount is the same try a different injector in that hole. I’ve actually had one come in the box with a bad tip. Then proceed down the tear the head off and look route

I have a 4219 one cylinder is missing. Starts hard when it’s cold even when it’s warm out it takes a sniff of either to get it goin.got some blow by out the calve cover vent. I replaced 4 injectors. Bad valve? Bad cylinder? Faulty injection pump? ( pump seen better days) . You can hear it at idle go through the cylinders one is missing not multiple. High idle u don’t hear it. When it warms up seems to run good accept for the miss at idle even kind of snappy. Previous owner wasn’t to mechanically enclined . when I bought it it was in an air compressor it’s in a Skidder now. I’m thinking burnt valve the previous opener had a bunch of either cans hanging around I figured he use to giver the juice when it was cold trying to get it to fire with bad batteries and burnt it that way.
On a gas engine I would do a compression test and then a leak down test to try to pinpoint were the problem is. Do those tests work on diesel engines too or is that uncommon?

On a gas engine I would do a compression test and then a leak down test to try to pinpoint were the problem is. Do those tests work on diesel engines too or is that uncommon?
They work one just needs the fitting to put in place of an injector. Not common. Jim

Hello Harvey, welcome to YT! My thoughts are exactly as Leroy has said, from the results he described scored cylinder walls is usually another outcome. I have never heard of a valve burning from starting fluid. The engine is cold when SF is used, generally in my thinking a valve is usually extremely hot when it fails. How does it sound when you crank it with the fuel off? It should crank even with all 4 compression strokes loading the starter evenly. If a cylinder is down on compression the starter will speed during that 1/2 turn of the engine. Loosening the injector lines on each cylinder when at an idle can also tell you which cylinders are not doing their share. This is the equal off pulling a plug wire off a spark plug on a gas engine.
Doesn’t sound like it’s speeding on a half turn. I had the valve cover off nothing seems messed up . Takes some cranking to get some white smoke to finally come out though

Used red mn beat me to it. It doesn’t do a whole lot really other than you will be able to verify which cylinder is the problem. And that you do have a dead miss at that particular one. Does the amount of fuel being delivered to each one look approximately the same. I’m betting there won’t be much delivered out of the one and it’s time to look at the pump especially if it was on an air compressor it probably had 2 speeds. WOT and off. If amount is the same try a different injector in that hole. I’ve actually had one come in the box with a bad tip. Then proceed down the tear the head off and look route
Yes. It takes some time cranking before I get some white smoke coming out of it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back