JD 630 Fuel Problem

LDPosse

I recently fired up my 1959 630 after sitting idle for a couple of months. It had about a half tank of fuel, and I was using my 5 woods rotary cutter. I was bush hogging flat ground with it for about an hour, when it suddenly started to sputter and lose speed, then died. I pulled the choke and was able to get it re-started. I pushed the choke back in once it started, and it kept running, then I continued mowing.
About 20 minutes later, it started sputtering again, I pulled the choke out quickly and it barely kept enough RPMs to stay running. I crept back to the barn in 1st gear and parked it.

The next day, it started as it always does, and I finished mowing my field without incident.

I did notice that there was a small amount of sediment in the glass fuel bowl.

Our local municipality has asked me to pull their haunted hayride with the ole Deere this year. I want to do it, but am concerned about having problems well into the ride and having a load of upset passengers.

I m still relatively new to these tractors, does anyone have suggestions on what could cause these sporadic fuel problems?

Thank you!

Sometimes electrical problems act like
fuel issues. My 630 acted up and would
barely run, used the choke and it would
clear up but not right. It was the
condenser in the distributor. Not fuel
related. Have had 3 condensers and one
coil go bad and it always feels like a
fuel issue.

Would take the sediment bowl off the carb and see if fuel is flowing. There is a nut on top of the fuel bowl assy and you
should be able to push it down which will release fuel into the bowl. That is if the automatic fuel shut-off assy hasn't been
replaced. Have a 520 having problems as it is getting oil into the sediment bowl. Must need a kit.

Thanks everyone for the input, I ll check things out and see what I find.

Regarding the comment about the condenser. Is it worth upgrading the points/condenser to a Pertronix style ignition?

Thanks!

I agree with craigco, a condenser will fool you into tinkering with the carb/fuel supply. A clue that it's not fuel related - watch the exhaust when it recovers from a missing spell. Black exhaust sez it's getting fuel.

If it still has the auto fuel shut off look at the stem that is to drop down when running and see if the
rubber washer drops down with the stem. I once had a 620 the washer was stuck at the top and would not let
enough fuel through.

In my opinion, yes. Old ignitions still work, but many new parts for them are junk when new, so that's a challenge. I have units in 20 years in 2 cylinders that are still going, with a lot less fouled plugs,
etc.

I am going to ask what does the fuel tank look like inside? I've seen fine talcome type rust
bind up the oil pressure shut off stem. If you remove the fuel line at carb & blow back into the
tank if you have all sudden good fuel flow the issue might be fine rust sediments.

I am on the condenser side too as I have experience exactly what they say and with a tractor that has the auto shutoff which always comes into question. I have success using a Standard
brand condenser from O'Rielly auto parts.

cvphoto135866.jpg

cvphoto135867.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I ended up putting in a fresh condenser, as well as flushing the tank.

I ran the tractor for 5 hours straight last night for a community haunted hay ride. Thankfully it ran great the whole night without any issues.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back