JD B transmission oil in crankcase

chas036

I have a late model B that I have the transmission apart replacing the shift pawls. I am starting to reassemble everything and I noticed that if gear oil leaks into first reduction gear space, it will drain into the crankcase oil. This explains why my engine oil level increases over time. From what I see, I believe the gear oil is getting into the reduction gear space by coming from the drive shaft where the first reduction gear attaches.

When the gear oil gets thrown around in the transmission, some of it drains into the bearing cover where the drive shaft come through the case. Now because the bearing is packed with grease, I am assuming that the gear oil can't drain back into the transmission, so it fills up that cover . Because there is no seal where the shaft exits the bearing cover, the gear oil just comes out around the shaft and drains into the first reduction gear space and then drains into the crankcase.

How can I correct this?

This post was edited by chas036 on 07/10/2021 at 07:28 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back