John Deere 2510 diesel

Tjbarker

New User
Howdy, everyone.

I am new to the forum. I was gifted a 66 JD 2510 diesel with power shift transmission. I have been having problems with getting it to start. I replaced the starter solenoid, ignition switch and starter button, have jumped across both safeties on the transmission on the clutch side and the other on below the right battery box. I have also tried jumping it across the solenoid terminals with no success. Batteries are brand new and test good. Does anyone have any directions they can point me in next? Bad starter?

It was running great until one day I was pulling it around to add hydraulic fluid, I shut it off and ever since it will not start out of the blue.

Thank you!

Howdy, everyone.

I am new to the forum. I was gifted a 66 JD 2510 diesel with power shift transmission. I have been having problems with getting it to start. I replaced the starter solenoid, ignition switch and starter button, have jumped across both safeties on the transmission on the clutch side and the other on below the right battery box. I have also tried jumping it across the solenoid terminals with no success. Batteries are brand new and test good. Does anyone have any directions they can point me in next? Bad starter?

It was running great until one day I was pulling it around to add hydraulic fluid, I shut it off and ever since it will not start out of the blue.

Thank you!
First of all, is this an "as original" 24 Volt system or has it been converted to 12 Volts? Are you sure all battery cable connections are clean and TIGHT at both ends? Battery cables can even fail such that the copper wire inside is no longer making contact with the cable end/terminal

First of all, is this an "as original" 24 Volt system or has it been converted to 12 Volts? Are you sure all battery cable connections are clean and TIGHT at both ends? Battery cables can even fail such that the copper wire inside is no longer making contact with the cable end/terminal
It is all original. Connections could use some work but they seem to have good contact and continuity. But it very well could be bad cables.

At times I will get it to click but not able to turn over the starter. It will click 3-4 times and very weak at that.

Hello TJ welcome to YT! You mention “continuity” is that the proven with a meter type? Using the meter on the voltage setting to follow the delivery of voltage across the cables and connections while they are under load is a nearly fool proof way to test if your battery cable circuits are performing their job properly. Let us know if you need more details on that process.

Clutch switch would be near left battery box front I believe. Will also need jumped or fixed. If you are trying the key. All of this is for naught if it won’t jump at the starter.

So I think the 2510 is going to be alternator equipped from the factory negative ground it was the first it’s really a 1965 to 68 tractor unlike the other 10 series. Including diesels. You should be able to jump that starter right there at the starter with no problem and I’m betting that’s where your problem lies. If you are any good at building battery cables I’d start in on that first however if you know they aren’t perfect.

I had one of these things it was a neat little tractor

I believe the 2510 was only 12 volts and the Operator's manual says 12 volts. If it has two batteries, they will be wired in parallel for 12 volts.

The fact that you couldn't get it to turn by jumping the starter terminals, narrows the problem to the batteries and cables as being the first things to check to me. With a voltmeter check the volt across the terminals of each battery, then check to see what voltage shows at the starter solenoid terminal. Try starting it with the voltmeter still connected at the solenoid terminal. What were the voltage readings? Often a bad battery cable connection will feel hot after trying to start.

I agree with Jim in that 2510 Diesel has two 12 volt batteries attached in parallel to yield 12 volts. I suggest to check for a starter relay mounted on or near firewall.

Haven’t had a chance today to do anymore troubleshooting. I will follow up when I can. I appreciate all the help.

Haven’t had a chance today to do anymore troubleshooting. I will follow up when I can. I appreciate all the help.
Please confirm if you mean it is not cranking (starter not working) or it cranks over but doesn't run. Need to narrow down the problem to get the best answers.

I think I found the problem. I removed the starter to check brushes, armature and to clean. Found that copper wire connecting to the brush was worn completely through on 1 brush and slightly worn on others. Have ordered a new starter. I will report back when I get the new starter on. I’m sure that was the problem. All other connections test good. Thanks everyone.
IMG_2188.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back