John Deere 310A Backhoe low fuel pressure? wont start

jakerr

New User
Hello, I have a 1976? John Deere 310A backhoe. When I got the unit it would only run full throttle and you had to choke it of air at the intake to shut it off. Before I got it, it had been sitting for a while. There was a lot of black gunk in the fuel tank, lines, filter, and injection pump. I cleaned out the tank, the lines, replaced the filter etc. The small transfer pump manual hand lever does not work, but the pump does send fuel through to the injection pump with pressure behind it. I used my vacuum pump to suction the fuel though to the injection pump after filter change and the unit started just fine, but still ran at high throttle. So, I pulled the injection pump. Lined up the marks on the injection pump and inserted the rod in the flywheel at TDC before removal. Replaced the solenoid (it was bent and sticking on the governor spring preventing the metering valve from moving) and replaced the weight basket with the newer one piece part. Pump was bench tested and I reinstalled it on the machine. I did NOT turn the motor while the pump was off. lined up the two dimples on the pump shaft and pump rotor. timing marks were also lined up. New injectors were also installed. return to tank line got all new seals. removed pin from flywheel and reinstalled cover. After many hours of trying to bleed the fuel system and replacing the starter the machine will not start. When cracking the injector lines, it does not seem like there is very much pressure going to the injectors.

Short version

Cleaned tank and lines
Replaced fuel filter
New fuel injectors
Rebuilt & tested injection pump (jdb431md3027)
Fuel @ injectors, white smoke from each cylinder exhaust, doesn't seem to be very much fuel pressure when cracking lines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back