John Deere 60 No oil to the valves?

Okay so I finally got the JD 60 purring like a kitten last weekend, but I hit a snag in that after tightening the head and leaving the valve cover off we realized no oil is coming from the tappets which oil the rocker arms and valves.

To be honest I have no idea where to start looking to fix this issue without hopefully ripping the tractor down as we have oil pressure so I could use some advice on the easiest way (But not laziest) to fix this issue.

Any takers?

I would take the crankcase top cover off and look around to see if the oil tube that feeds the tappets
is unhooked or broken off ? My have to drain the oil down to get a look at where it hooks onto the oil
pump.

Is line #7 hooked up? All the connections at the head in place?
cvphoto157123.png

cvphoto157124.png

On my 70, the oil feed to the valves only lubes the
exhaust valves. The intakes only get lubed by oil
mist according to Dick Merchant----long time mechanic
in the JD system. I got concerned after overhauling
the 70 & had no oil for the intakes. He said---if you
had oil on the intakes, it would use oil more than a
quart a day.
My $.02 worth.
Jim

(quoted from post at 11:29:55 06/23/23) I would take the crankcase top cover off and look around to see if the oil tube that feeds the tappets
is unhooked or broken off ? My have to drain the oil down to get a look at where it hooks onto the oil
pump.

Okay everyone. Today I took off the Valve cover and top of the crankcase off before examining everything and externally the system seems fine with no visible breaks in the line or problems with the mechanical connection to the pump.

After draining the oil and cleaning out the gunk in the bottom of the crankcase with a brush and rinsing it all down and out with diesel to ensure the mesh and pump itself would run smoothly I then removed the gears themselves and they seem in working order.

After that I bought out an airline connecter and connected it to the threads in which the tappets over the valves would screw and blew air threw the lines under pressure back into the crankcase.

Currently I have no idea if this worked for sure, but gunk and oil was blown back into the crankcase, currently I am waiting to refill the case with oil until I get a new seal for the pump gear cover.

I will keep you updated on this, but if the problem even after this persist, I will possibly have to tear down the whole tractor and remove the pump and the whole oil line system.

Until then any advice or similar experiences?

This post was edited by Poppy Johnny on 06/24/2023 at 11:09 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back