John Deere 717 Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch

Ldwallace

I have my dads 717 Rotary Cutter. It has rarely been operated the last 5 years and has been stored outside.

I have done some research on slip clutches. It seems to be generally recommended that they be inspected and adjusted frequently..

However,

The owners manual states this clutch is factory set and may slip but if it is smoking it is not adjustable and needs repair. Repair seems to mean disassembly of the clutch and replacement of clutch disc and possibly other parts.

The manual states thrust plate should be visible in housing window. If it is not visible then that indicates discs are worn and need to be replaced.

My questions:

If I operate the cutter as is is there a possibility of the clutch not slipping properly and damaging the gear box or worse, damaging the PTO?

I have recently cut some short grass, about the equivalent of an overgrown yard, with no smoking or any other indications of problems..

Your thoughts?

"If I operate the cutter as is is there a possibility of the clutch not slipping properly and damaging the gear box or worse, damaging the PTO?"

Well, there's always a POSSIBILITY of that happening if you hit debris, especially if a slip clutch has rusted TIGHT and doesn't slip.

"I have recently cut some short grass, about the equivalent of an overgrown yard, with no smoking or any other indications of problems. Your thoughts?"

With light use and NOT having hit any debris I don't think you need to worry about having damaged something.

At this point is certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to take the slip clutch apart and examine the parts following the instructions in the manual, replace any parts as needed, and reassemble, setting the "breakaway torque as directed.

On the other hand, if it won't see heavy use or likely be exposed to debris on a regular basis it will probably work for years and years as it is.

I dont know. How can I tell? Here is a pic.
mvphoto92280.jpg

I plan to work it thru some progressively heavier brush till I get to two inch saplings. I am mainly concerned about hitting something and stopping it cold and damaging the tractors PTO.

Short of rebuilding it. I dont know of a good way to ensure the clutch will slip when it needs to slip.

I checked 717 operators manual & there's not much slip clutch maintenance info listed. I find it difficult to comprehend that cutter operator doesn't have option to loosen spring tension on clutch assembly, slip clutch linings then readjust spring tension

mvphoto92311.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back