Johndeere 1956 AR styled running issues

CanaAR

New User
I have a 1956 John Deere Ar Styled that has had issues staying running. It would run ok for a while then slowly get worse and worse until it would stall. I could get it to run but then for shorter and shorter periods, I thought it was a fuel issue as the cab rebuild i did seemed not perfect, I purchased a new fully built Carb. from Martin tractor. It worked ok then i took it for a small drive and started having the same issue. I dont think its dirty fuel i drained the tank and put fresh in and the glass sediment bowl seems clean and screen in the carb looks clean as well. It will fire and run a few seconds then die like there is no fuel or its choking itself. If i move the Choke in and out i can somtimes keep it running a while but it dies. As it dies the exaust sorta puffs black smoke. Any help or thoughts would be welcome, I have unhooked the governor and opened the air intake to see if those were causing my issue but it still acts the same. One cylinder seems wet the other does not but not a excessive amount on the wet side. Spark seems fine.

Hello CanaAR welcome to YT! Not a Deere guy but what I am telling you applies to all brands. Not sure if draining the fuel means it drained through the sediment bowl with the line off if so my recommendations are less likely. The sediment bowl may look clean but that does not mean fuel is flowing through it. Take the line off at the carb and check for good flow there. If so then reconnect the line and check the flow out of the carb drain. A new carb means nothing, could have been banged around in shipping and the float is messed up, assembled wrong, who knows. Did not mention this above but sometimes when a fuel tank is completely drained the initial pouring to refill pours directly on the bottom of the tank stirring up whatever has been setting under the gas for years. That flows or settles in the outlet into the sediment bowl, now you have a flow restriction there.

Does your AR have a distributor? I have a 1951 model AR and had exactly the same symptoms. I checked everything to include carb rebuild by a professional. Turned out it was the condenser in the distributor. Has run fine since I put the second condenser in, as the first new one was also bad. If you have a mag, I don't know.
By the way, they made the model AR from about 1936 to 1953.

It does have a distributor, and i did get a kit to rebuild it so i guess that will be next. And yea i noticed the year thing when doing the serial number registration think its 52 or 53 with the serial being in the 282*** range.

You were right on the condenser, i changed it and the points and cap and its running now idle seemed high and a few other things but its running now i can tune things i hope. Thanks for the help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back