Jonn Deere 420 power steering.

jdgreenpa

New User
I purchased a 1958 jd 420 w slant steer with rack/pinion steering.Had trouble with front wheels jumping out of place and sending me off in a different undesired direction,kinda scary.Pulled the steering unit apart,everything looked ok at first until I noticed a non jd part had been added to the top of pinion shaft(m4231t)to hold splined coupling(m4245t) up on above pinion spline to enable coupling to reach and engage lever shaft assembly(am3976t)above.I learned from previous owner that the lower pinion shaft had been replaced it was then I noticed how low the gear and bearing on the lower pinion was.Whoever installed this shaft did not re install the thrust washer(m4231t)under the gear in the rack and pinion housing.I cannot locate this part anywhere locally or on the net.I know the ID and possibly the OD but really need to know the thickness as it keeps the rack from hanging down out of the gear which had already compromised the "O"ring on the cylinder head.If anyone has one for sale or could please provide the dimensions it would be greatly appreciated.Thank You!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back