Just curious...

kcm.MN

Didn't want to romp on the Drilling Concrete thread, but wanted to ask this question. And am keeping Bill T's need of drilling "10 3/4 x 5 deep holes". What's the general consensus of a drill like this accomplishing that job?

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dw511/12-13-mm-vsr-single-speed-hammer-drill

DW511_1.jpg

I recently needed to drill 8 holes for a porch railing. My cordless drill with a masonry bit wasn't doing very well, so I ran to HF and
bought one of their /rotary hammer drills, took me about ten minutes to drill the holes with it.

It depends on how many hours you have to get it done. I
think I have four hand drills with the hammer drill setting.
Its unbelievable how much faster and easier it is to drill
with a true hammer drill, about like trying to drill a hole in
reverse and then switching to the right direction.

There is a reason you can buy a battery power hammer drill
but I have never seen a battery power rotary drill. A rotary drill
would eat a battery up because it needs so much power.

Yes you can drill small holes in concrete with a hammer drill
but you get into bigger sizes a rotary hammer is so much
faster.

About like cutting a steak with a butter knife. Yes it can be
done but who wants that headache.

The applications spec in the document you posted a link to pretty well gives you the answer.

mvphoto109492.jpg

You can drill 3/4" holes but it is going to take some time and stress the tool, to say nothing about your patience.

Milwaukee builds battery rotary hammers, Im sure other brands do as well. Last I looked they are in the $700+ price range.

I have that very drill, and would agree that 3/8" is the limit on concrete. Does just fine on 1/4".

(quoted from post at 06:44:08 09/08/23) I have never seen a battery power rotary drill. A rotary drill
would eat a battery up because it needs so much power.

Not true.
DeWalt makes a battery powered rotory hammer with a 1" chuck.

Look into the [b:35f64ecd8b]DeWalt DCH273B[/b:35f64ecd8b] .

Do any of you remember or have used a STAR bit? They worked amazingly well, just hit with a hammer and twist between blows. I still have many of dads old bits. The old ways will always work. Work, You that is. joe
star bits

(quoted from post at 14:43:31 09/08/23) The name on it has a lot going against it. I don't buy anything Dewalt anymore. Harbor Freight would be better quality.

I bought this drill off eBay last year. The guy sold it for $40. I've yet to find anything wrong with it, and it was brand new/never used. Never even unboxed. Only thing missing was the chuck key. And yes, it is a dream to run! I am VERY happy with my purchase. :mrgreen:

That drill would Not be my first choice. I have had bad luck with that type of Chuck on a hammer drill.

Any hammer drill will be better than a straight drill, but your choice in bits will have a bigger impact. A Hilti-style concrete drill will
probably out drill a combination drill/hammer-drill as you describe, as they, and their bits, are built for that purpose, and perform well.

I have the Hilti variant of that (TM7S-VSR) and it works quite well within it's limits. Small anchors for mounting electrical stuff, etc. just fine. Even does well with some larger core bits and I have a water swivel attachment for that use. Still does not compare to a rotary hammer which I have also used many times.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back