Key Switch and Coil Fire Problem

RTR

I’m curious as to what causes a problem I am having with a Massey Ferguson 135 gas tractor. I’ve also had the same problem with a Farmall Cub and a Farmall 140 tractor ......all of which are key start systems. When starting the tractor and turning over the starter with the key switch, The switch is not letting fire/battery power to the coil. When the key/starter is released, it allows fire to the coil then. Basically when the key is on the “on” position you have power to the coil but in the momentary start position it doesn’t have power.

Is this a simple wiring issue I have made a mistake at, or does this mean the key switch is bad?

Could be a wiring problem or a starter problem. Try hot wiring it and see if the problem goes away. Run a wire from the ignition side of the battery to the ignition side of the starter and try to start it. If it fires up like it should you have a wiring problem if it doesn't then you have a starter pulling to many amps

I have also seen this issue show up with low battery or bad cables, the voltage droops so much during cranking that it starves the coil.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back