Lambert Disc Brake Info

REDEYE

After having a hard time finding one of the fancy spiral brake return springs for the Farmall lambert disc brake conversions, I thought I would post information here to save someone the trouble in the future.

The lambert disc brake conversion kits replaced the band brakes on the M and perhaps even the H. They are identified by the outer brake casting bolted onto the transmission tunnel with three bolts. IH disc brakes on later Farmall tractors had five bolts on the casting. Internally they are very simple with a mechanical three ball ramp and roller caliper.

The brake return spring installs over the tensioner screw at the top of the caliper that sticks through the casting. When the pedal is depressed the tensioner screw is pulled further out of the casting and compresses the return spring. When the pedal is released the three caliper springs will have enough force to return the pedal almost all the way, but you need a good return spring to get it all the way there. Often times the return springs are broken.

All parts for the lambert brakes are more or less no longer available, and good luck finding used. After much searching I found part number 358718R1 for the spiral return spring through Bates. As of 2021 it was still available. If you go to replace them having an extra set of hands and some good flat screwdrivers to get things compressed and into position is helpful.
358718R1

My 1950 H had those Lambert brakes. Right side worked OK, left side was pretty much non-functional. No repair parts available. I replaced the Lamberts with original, band style brakes. Now the brakes work just fine.

Mine Glazed Over and were not very good. Had them lightlty sand blasted and they work well. Also could take the disc to a clutch shop and have them redone.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back