making maple syrup in hudson valley region of NY

Our family has a small farm with 96 acres, some field, some woods and some swamp plus our house the barn and some sheds. I started making maple syrup when I was a teenager [I am 29 urs old now].
My dad has been doing most of the hard work now, and my brother and sister and myself help him out with tapping the trees and whatever else he needs. We have about 200 taps in trees. Some trees have up to 3 taps in them depending on size. Here are a few puctures from the boiling process.

cvphoto15351.jpg

I love maple syrup. We have maple trees but just never got into tapping them. Neighbor used to tap our trees and give us some syrup but not for quite some time. I did not know sap was flowing yet. Much to cold here in Mn.

I know a number of people in the area that produce syrup, some large and some small. We are in the Neversink NY area, What area are you from?

Who was it on here that was always posting about making syrup up that way. He sent me a big jug that sure was different from what we get in the stores. Always posted about taping the trees and working on the boiler but I can not remember who it was.

I really enjoy when Loren shows his operation. They do ot the old fashion way with buckets. We use tubing going to large collection tubs, then pump into a barrel on the back of 3pt hitch on our tractor.

When I was younger I attended more then a few concerts at The Chance and the Mid-Hudson Civic Center. Meat Loaf, Warren Zevon, John Couger Melloncamp, David Gilmore, Molly Hachett, The Outlaws, to name a few.

I ride my motorcycle out your way in the summer. Also some very nice fishing spots on your side of the river. A very nice area.

Metal buckets have been outlawed in the past 2 years. The cousins are now using Totes and tubing. They mounted a pump on one of the gathering rigs.. Now 1 person can do all the gathering, rather than 6.
Nothing happening here. We haven't been up in the 20's for The past 10 days, say nothing of getting into the 30-40's during the day for sap to run. One of the cousins bought an RO machine this past summer, which should cut down on boil time and firewood consumption.
Loren

I've often wondered if the maple tree you guys tap are the same verity as the maples we have farther south.
Never heard of anyone tapping maples in this area or making syrup.
Only a few still making molasses around here today.
If home made maple syrup is anything like home made molasses I'd best never try it, you couldn't pay me to buy store bought junk they call molasses.

Maybe, just maybe, we might be able to start tapping next week. Been much to cold here yet. gonna be late here this year.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back