Massey 1080 multipower

blaszer

New User
Previously I mentioned that I acquired a 1080 with a non working 3 point or multipower. I was able to get the 3 point working and I bought a new multipower pump. Reassembled the tractor and still no high side of multipower. I split the tractor at the clutch and hooked a portapower on the hydraulic line for the mp and found that oil is just passing through it and evacuating into the trans. Is it worth it to reseal the unit or just buy a new one? Thanks!

The oil will bypass with the spool valve in low. There should be a test port fitting OUTSIDE the clutch housing for the MP pressure test, your porta power won't work like you are trying to do.

I am not sure what is bypassing but I would not think about putting it back together without rebuilding the MP clutch pack and taking a good look at the hydraulic line. The last one I had apart was in 1976, somethings get a little fuzzy in memory.

As we speak I am at the steel co. Mn. Fair. They have a 1080 here. First time I've really looked at one. That looks like a beefy tractor. Had only one neighbor farmed with Massey but that was in the days of 44,55.

Also be aware, if the MP clutch pack has to come out that requires a double split for transmission removal as the input shaft goes reward from the trans case before the clutch pack can be lifted out the top with the shift tower removed.

Yes, I was just going to say that the clutch pack is in the next bay back. So, with it split at the clutch, how can I determine if the valve and shaft are operating properly? I bought a new pump and reassembled tractor and I still had no high side. I just assumed that the shaft wasnt engaging but I guess its possible the clutches are out of the multipower

Test the line pressure per the service manual BEFORE splitting the tractor. Problem might be simple as the shift valve shoulder bolt broken. As an OLD MF mechanic I've seen that happen too. What USUALLY ruins the clutch pack is running the tractor very low on oil.

Unfortunately Ive got the tractor split and the mp valve out. The mechanic part of the valve was working ( the linkage was move the spool. There was a lot of material in the bottom of the bellhousing and Id venture a guess at half a gallon of heavy oil too

So whats my next step since its split already.? I dont have a problem repacking the mp clutch but Id prefer to not split it again?how can I test the valve and housing?

You will need a jumper hose, and a way to spin the PTO input shaft clockwise at least 700 RPM to check the line pressure to the valve. Why it's much easier to test the system before splitting the tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back